Hello everyone.

emilyk91
Occasional Contributor

Hello everyone.

Hello all I'm Emily. In February 2009 when I was 17 years old, I was diagnosed with a rare brain tumor (rhabdomyosarcoma) which was cancerous. I had to have chemotherapy for 1 year and also have radiation for 5 days per week for 6 weeks. I am now almost 22 years old and a survivor of cancer. I live in Brisbane, Qld but am from the Sunshine Coast QLD. I live with my partner of 2 years. I wonder, does anyone else (a survivor) still struggle with their energy levels after years of treatment like me ??. I am currently not working but just doing university via distance. I have had previous jobs since I finished treatment, and working 10 hours per week was just too much, I got exhausted. So I feel pretty useless at working, getting tired, exhausted so easily. Would love to chat to anyone really? :-). -Emily
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Heidiypi1
New Contributor

Re: Hello everyone.

Wow your amazing Emily, I have leukaemia, which kind feels like it pales in comparison to what you have been through, I suffer from totally debilitating fatigue so I know how you feel although I cannot answer your question re your exact illness, I am sending you love and hope from me at Sydney's Northern Beaches xxx
0 Kudos
Beatspop
Not applicable

Hi Emily, Sorry to hear that your energy levels are still significantly lower. I'm from Sydney and it has been 3 and 1/2 years since i finished treatment i am now 28yrs old, i can't say that my energy levels have changed much but then again my treatment wasn't as long. But my body has definitely changed, i notice i can't digest food as easily so i have had to change diet and lifestyle. Hope that helps. :)
0 Kudos
bebop63
New Contributor

I was diagnosed with uterine cancer in 2012 and underwent the operation and chemo and radiotherapy and all that. Physically I feel fine but I feel the mental effects of chemo brain still lingering.Also feel less energy than before.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.