Hello

Maggie_HE
New Contributor

Hello

Hi there I am new to this. I have survived my treatment for cervical cancer, finished on 31st January. I am recovering and thinking of returning to work. I also spend time wondering "why?"... Maggie
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
wombat4
Contributor

Re: Hello

Well Maggie, There dosnt seem to be an answer to "why", best I can come up with is " it is ". This disease if it is ourselves or even worse a loved one, dosnt even have the courtesy to knock on our doors, it kicks them in and takes over our lives. I used to shut and lock our gate at night, and say to my wife " that will keep the b....tds out", I realised to my horror later that the b....tds were already with us and I was locking them in. Good luck with the recovery and return to work. Wombat4
0 Kudos
smellingtherose
Occasional Contributor

Welcome Maggie, We seem to get a stage in the recovery - when we are able to start asking WHY - I think it is a turning point towards living (whatever that is) - well for me it has been - one step at a time. I know I was pushing myself too hard, so something had to give, for me it had been a wake up call. But it is something I never want to get anywhere close to again. The doctors said I was unlucky - what does that mean! I had aggressive cervical cancer stage three even the doctors refused to believe it no wonder I was shocked. I dont care why anymore thats just too hard, im going to enjoy every single moment that I have left on this earth. I have recently joined this site and it is just great to talk to someone that gets how you are feeling. Yes there are always people that are worse off than you BUT we all have our own journey and need support Cheers for now Teresa
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

Hi Maggie, First let me say welcome to the group. The people in here are very supportive, and often have some helpful ideas on how to manage/cope with the ordeal that some of us find ourselves in. Secondly,if your circumstances allows it, don't hurry back to full time work too soon. Just ease yourself back into your work routine slowly. It depends on what your treatment regime was too. I returned to full time work a little over two months after my hysterectomy for endometrial cancer. Nearly four months later, and I am finding that there are days where I just seem to have no oomph. Some of this may be due to my lack of sleep (I am thermostatically challenged at the moment), but it is also because my body has just been through the wringer and is trying to sort itself out again. Good luck with your return to work, but please keep in tune with your body and don't push yourself too much.
0 Kudos
Maggie_HE
New Contributor

Hi Wombat Thanks for your message. You're right. Somethings just are... And cancer is obviously one of them! However I do feel that I am at a better stage now that treatment is over and I can question what it was all about. I do wonder how safe my loved ones and I are. As a mother though I am happy the cancer attacked me and not my children. Maggie
0 Kudos
Maggie_HE
New Contributor

Hi Teresa Thanks for your email. I like the idea that I am at a positive stage to be able to ask why! I have adopted this philosophy, thank you. I have been looking at my life also and I think I was doing too much. I had cervical cancer also, however I was termed "lucky" as it was only found when I had a hysterectomy, for other reasons. I didn't feel lucky at the time! But it is good to be alive, and I am determined to enjoy life more and not work / stress as much. Cheers, Maggie
0 Kudos
Maggie_HE
New Contributor

Hi Thanks for your advice. I am planning to only work part-time for the rest of the year, if I can manage it financially. I think it is very good advice not to hurry back to work. Some days I feel so energetic that I feel I am back to "normal" but then the next day I am tired and need a midday sleep. I know it will take time. I hope your thermostat is starting to settle down. My hot flushes haven't been too bad, but my bladder wakes me up often overnight! Cheers, Maggie
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

Hi Maggie, My thermostat is starting to cool down a bit (I think). My Prof has put me on Oestragen patches about three weeks ago and I think they are starting to kick in. I am happy to hear that you are going to ease yourself back into the work force. It will certainly make the transition much easier for you. Keep up the good work! The Rowan
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

G'day Maggie, Sometimes life does not give you much option on what you want to do with your life after cancer. I had colon ca, went thru a major op and had 48 sessions of weekly chemo. I did not think I could work so I went to centerlink, They made me stand in line each fortnight to put in my forms....seems ca is considered a short term illnes. So at month three of chemo I went back to work and have not stopped since. I guess sometimes we don't organise our lives it organises us.So I have decided that i will just be an accidental tourist of ca, It's 14 years later ,still alive,don't know why and really don't care I just live what I have been given. All the best for health and Happiness,Ron.
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.