I survived Lung Cancer

JayJay
Not applicable

I survived Lung Cancer

On the 3.10.08 my GP told me I had lung cancer and I would need to see a Specialst from here on in. she would not let me leave the surgery until she informed my sister and she came to collect me.

I was very calm and matter of fact about the whole diagnois thing as I had been a smoker for 40 years and had lost both my parents to Lung Cancer. My sister was far more upset than I was.

The specialst was again a very lovely lady who was matter of fact and explained things in a language I and my sister could understand, I had to go to Sydney for a PET scan as my lungs were either badly scarred from previous infections or full of cancer. THERE IS NO PET SCANS IN REGIONAL AREAS.

Again after visiting Sydney I waited another week to find out results, Luckly for me it showed only the one small tumor, so it was operatable. The operation would have to be done in Sydney and I would be in hospital for anything from 3 to 7 days depending on the surgery. I saw the surgeon at 3.30pm and he agreed to operate but would not be able to say how long it would take as it depended upon what he found inside of me.

He deceided to operate on me the first thing next morning. I won't go into details of my hospital visit only to say they are the most wonderful and dedicated people I have met for a long time. I was lucky as the surgery was keyhole and minumun damage was done, and the whole tumor was removed. Now we had to wait for Pathology to do their thing and tell us what type of cancer we were dealing with and what would my treatment be .

Again another wait, finally day came and when I saw the Proff's face I started to breathe again, the tumor was just turning to cancer, what they call a precancer cancer. In other words since the tumor was gone so was the threat of cancer. I am one of the very lucky ones for the cancer to have been found and treated so quickly. So I am cured and Yes I have given up smoking.

But from the 3.10.08 till 6.11.08 I was to my mind a cancer sufferer and went through the mixed emotions all cancer sufferers do. I was lucky that I consulted my GP when I had concernes and lucky that she took my seriously, lucky in my Specialst and Surgeon and LUCKY TO BE ALIVE AND WELL.

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
admin_one
Contributor

I survived Lung Cancer

Hi JayJay,Thanks for sharing your story. Totocol
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: I survived Lung Cancer

Spamming here also ... tut tut annie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi All, My name is Felix and I am one of the administrators of the Cancer Connections website. Just to let you all know that the recent Spam posts in this thread have been removed from the website as they breach the stated conditions of use for the site. The user has also been blocked from posting further comments. Kind regards, Felix
0 Kudos
vinouche
Contributor

Congratulations, yes if it is operable it is a good thing. I gave up the gigs 2 months before diagnosis, a bit too late, my cancer is not operable and advanced. I did discover tablets that my husband has taken called Champix. They are prescribed by the doctor and have worked extremely wel for my husband who had tried everything else. So if your mum is still struggling try them.
0 Kudos
Teacher_Mum
Contributor

tsk tsk - how tacky that people feel that they can spam when a story or heartfelt pouring has been shared. Good for you! Well done 🙂 Teach
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Yup, just goes to show how low some people can go. 😉 How on earth they would think we would even bother with anything that they are spamming us with after being so disrespectful i have no idea.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Dear all, PLEASE NOTE: This commercial post has been removed by the Administration Team as it breaches the terms and conditions of usage for the website. Kind regards Kate Cancer Connections Admin Team
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

spam yet again
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.