Life after Thyroid Cancer!! HELP!

kirsty22
Not applicable

Life after Thyroid Cancer!! HELP!

Hello! My names Kirsty, and i was diagnosed with thyroid cancer when i was 13, i had to have 2 surgeries for a total thyroid removal and para thyroids , and also had a round of radiation. Cancer returned when i was 16 and just had another round of radiation to clear me of cancer! Anyway now im 25 and have not had cancer since (YAY), but i feel as though now im getting older that all the effects of having no thyroid and parathyroids are really hitting me hard. I struggle to have energy, my brain cant even function some days, my joints are horrible, i get depressed at least once a month, i feel weak ,i dont feel like a normal 25 yr old, i also dont feel like i can talk to many people about this beacause they just dont understand,and i also feel paranoid that something is wrong with me all the time and i stress about cancer coming back or other cancers.. the list goes on lol.....I hate it, and i wonder am i the only person that feels like this ??? Sometimes i just feel so lonely even though i have so many people in my life 😞 ugh...what does one do ? If anybody can relate please share 🙂
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: Life after Thyroid Cancer!! HELP!

Hi Kirsty, I am new to all of this and only recently diagnosed. Saw your post and just wanted to let you know that I can only imagine what you are going through right now. You have obviously been dealing with a lot when you should have been enjoying your teenage and early adult years! Might be worth speaking to a doctor if you haven't already about how you are feeling. Just wanted to let you know you aren't alone
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Kirsty, I can't relate to your situation (I joined this forum because my husband was diagnosed with lymphoma 3 years ago, at 39), but we joined The Warwick Cancer Foundation not long after he was diagnosed, and they're really helpful. They are an organisation supporting young adults with cancer. What you might find most helpful is their peer support program "Mates in my Shoes", which aims to link up people in the same demographic with the same type of cancer. They also have social events for members in each state. Their website is www.twcf.org.au Of course, this is also a great resource for connecting with people who will understand what you're going through! It's a great place to connect, vent and share ideas. We're all with you. love Emily
0 Kudos
Chrisopetro
Not applicable

Hi Kirsty I also had thyroid cancer at the age of 25. I have struggled with body aches and pains, memory probs, tiredness and depression etc. I find that a good healthy diet helps a bit with the depression and the aches and pains. But you sort of get used to it all. I am now 57 years old and it all seems just normal to me now. What dosage of thyroxin are you on? I wish you all the best
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.