Mesothelioma Disease

Dragonfly15
New Contributor

Mesothelioma Disease

Hi I am a new member to Cancer Connections I have finished my treatment and am 12 months disease free Looking for others out there with this disease and survivors of this disease. There are only 2 support groups for Mesothelioma Disease in Victoria. That's not good. Would be good to chat to people who know what I'm talking about.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
m.portelli
Occasional Contributor

Re: Mesothelioma Disease

Hi, I'm my Mums carer. She has Mesothelioma and is surviving well at the moment. She was diagnosed in September 2014 and had a round of Chemo (cisplatin and alimpta). We attend the Meso Support Group in South Melbourne which has been something we rely on for support, comfort and understanding. Mum was given 8 - 12 months to live nearly 1 and a half years ago. I'm consumed by my Mums Meso but can't imagine how hard it is for her. I hope you're traveling well and would be happy to help with any questions you have. Take care
0 Kudos
Dragonfly15
New Contributor

Hello Thank you for your response. I hope your Mum is doing well. I actually attended the group in South Melbourne in January with my Mum but I am the one with the disease. I was diagnosed in October 2014 at the age of 43. I had major surgery in Jan 2015 to have 3 tumours and 40% of my right lung removed. In March I started chemo, 2 rounds of Alimta & Carboplatin and 2 rounds of Alimta & Cisplatin.
0 Kudos
Ms_Anticipatory
Occasional Contributor

Hi, how are you going? How did the chemo go? Mum's tumor was slowed when she took Alimta and Cisplatin but after a few months it started to grow again. she is currently on a trial at Epworth which has stopped the growth of the tumor so we're happy (although it still knocks her around a bit). How are you feeling? I wanted to ask whether you experience night sweats? Mum is drenched every night and I wondered it that was related to Mesothelioma... We haven't made it to the group for a few months because chemo is always scheduled on that day :( Anyway, hope you're OK.
0 Kudos
JohnB
Visitor

I was diagnosed Dec 2015 with MESO, gone through two different types of chemo not much luck except that it is keeping it in check which is a blessing. Excepted the fact that it's terminal but it is very hard around my grandchildren. Any tips? 

All the very best with your mum..

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.