Rectal pain due to scarring - post radical prostatectomy

GeminiPaul
Not applicable

Rectal pain due to scarring - post radical prostatectomy

Hi to everyone! Can anyone provide me with advice on how to treat severe rectal discomfort due to scarring - post radical prostatetomy? Any info will be received with gratitude. Thanks 🙂
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Tracy63
New Contributor

Re: Rectal pain due to scarring - post radical prostatectomy

After treatment for anal cancer I had Xylocaine for topical application esp @ bowel movements (ouch), I also had the usual parade of painkillers: panadeine forte, endep, Actiq, etc blah blah. BUT nothing really worked because it was NERVE PAIN - what finally did work was LYRICA (an anti-convulsant) 75 mg 2 x p/d. I read about it in a book called "Manage your Pain: Practical and positive ways of adapting to chronic pain" by Dr Michael Nicholas, Dr Allan Molloy, et al. (c)2000 ABC Books. I highly recommend this book for behavioural strategies, thinking strategies, plain English medical information. Hope that's helpful, I wish you all the best for your recovery 🙂
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Rectal pain due to scarring - post radical prostatectomy

Sorry I have no knowledge of this . Maybe some of the guys who went through the same will have ideas. I use Lyrica for nerve pain,in a different place . I take a 75mg in the morning and a 150mg at night but am planning to swap the 150mg for a 75mg soon .
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.