Short term Memory Loss

Tashie
Occasional Contributor

Short term Memory Loss

Hi everyone, I finished treatment nearly three years ago for a head and neck cancer. Over the last 18 months or so I have noticed my short term memory loss is becoming worse. I even had to leave a job because of it. Was told Ginko Bilobo would help, but I didn't notice any difference. Does anyone know of any natural remedies that could help? Any special fruit or vegetables maybe that could be made into a smoothie? I just don't know what else to do? Tashie
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Short term Memory Loss

Hi Tashie Short term memory loss is a side effect of a lot of cancer treatment. I first got it sixteen years ago from hormone therapy. I've now learned to manage it. I just write things down. Wherever I am likely to be I have a note pad and write down things as I think of them and write up a "to do" list of things that I have to attend to, then tick them of as they get done. I gave up using a paper diary and went to one on the computer and it links to my 'phone and I set it up to give me a reminder of any appointments or things that have to be done on time. I even use it to remind me to take medications at the prescribed time. I don't think that herbs or potions help. We are stuck with these things and just have to kern to manage them. Cheers Sailor
0 Kudos
Tashie
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply Sailor. I was hoping there could be a "magic trick". It has been nearly three years now and is getting worse. I do write everything down, then you forget that you wrote it down! I have a friend who is a nutritionist so am going to see her. Just in case! Cheers Tashie
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Tashie I suffered from short term memory loss. With time and persistence it has improved. I have found that doing small and easy brain teasers to be helpful. The first book I read was a very easy read and not overly long. I was incredibly worried and embarrassed about what was happening to me. I think this is now my 5th year since treatment and the most noticeable improvement in my stml. Good luck with it all. Julie
0 Kudos
sam_richards
New Contributor

I also have short term memory issues after having brain serjurey March 2014. Also my phone hone has become essentially my memory as I set many reminders to try and get around the impairment
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.