Ten years today

Marg2
Occasional Contributor

Ten years today

Hi, I've been sitting here at home on my own remembering where I was 10 years ago today, I was undergoing a very long operation for pancreatic cancer and I'm very lucky to be sitting here writing this now. No one else in my family, or close friends, remember this day which is ok, life goes on for everyone. Actually my family don't even talk about it with me, it's like it never happened, strange in a way but maybe that's how they deal with it. I wish it wasn't like that though, not that I want to dwell on it and repeatedly talk about it of course. Anyway for me though it's different as many would understand so I felt like sharing how  reflective I'm feeling at the moment as life after cancer can still affect you but I'm very thankful and lucky,  I wish everyone well with whatever journey they are on. Take care, Marg. 

10 REPLIES 10
Paul71
Occasional Contributor

Re: Ten years today

Bless you Marg.  I think this is a very important date for you to remember, and I hope one day I can look back and say this is my 10 year anniversary.  My date is not hard to remember, I had my kidney removed on 1 April, April Fools Day.  How ironic.

Marg2
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your kind reply Paul, yes how ironic is the date that you had your surgery.

I wish you all the best and I'm sure your 10 year anniversary will be a milestone like mine was yesterday.

Take care, Marg.

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi Marg
Congratulations and well done. It is a definite special achievement on reaching 10 years after pancreatic cancer .

Enjoy the rest of your very special day best wishes
kj
Marg2
Occasional Contributor

Thank you kj for your kind reply, I wish you all the best as well, take care, Marg.

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

That’s wonderful news Marg and gives me hope. I’ve just had my last treatment for non Hodgkin’s lymphoma and it’s got rid of the cancer. So every extra year I have will be a gift. Well done 💕

Marg2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Linda, thank you so much for your lovely reply. I'm so happy to hear that after finishing your treatment your cancer has gone, what great news. Yes every year is a bonus for us all isn't it, I'm sure you'll have many good years ahead, it's a battle I know but you've done so well, as you said each year is a gift. Take care and keep well, Marg. 

0 Kudos
Rico2018
Occasional Contributor

Hi Marg

Thank you for sharing your story.  

In my opinion nobody else can understand what one goes through .  It is difficult to understand what someone is going through.  I did not realise before I was diagnosed (Rare cancer on the neck) the degree of anguish that a person goes through besides the treatment side effects and the various drugs.

Please take care and God Bless you.

Rico

0 Kudos
Marg2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rico,

Thank you for your lovely kind message, yes you're absolutely right with with you said, it's such a personal journey isn't it.

All the best to you, I hope you're going well.

Regards Marg.

0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Hi Marg,

Well congratulations on 10 years. I hope you didn't party too hard to celebrate.

You're right, life does go on.

For the people around us, the pain of what happened will fade slow over time. Faster than it will for us.

It doesn't mean that they don't remember it, just probably not at the same time in such a marked way. Or maybe they think you don't want to talk about it. It may well be a painful memory for your friends and family too.

That's just the way it is.

Slowly over time the memories will fade, but there is probably a core part of the event that will always be with you.

Maybe it's time to find someone to talk to about it.

All the best Marg.

-s

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.