Welcome

margro
Frequent Contributor

Welcome

Hi Jane and welcome! I agree with the live every day,in fact,I think we are the lucky ones....we know the true value of every day we have! My wonderful partner bought me some clothes today and he said when he gave me the jumper "it just said you".Repeated over and over on the top are the words"LOVE TO LIVE"!!!!Should be our web site theme. In case any of you are interested,I am walking in the city to surf this year to raise money for pancreatic research.Any donations would be wonderful(feel like a street person begging but it's worth losing any pride I have) and can be made directly to the cancer council in my name. Contact me for more info Thanks all,Margro
0 Kudos
lsmith
Occasional Contributor

Welcome

Hi everyone I will celebrate my 9th cancer birthday in July.  On being diagnosed with a squamous cell carcinoma of unknown primary in July 1999 I had a pity party for 2 days then decided that this uninvited guest would not define who I was and control my life.  I still have blood tests and scans and see my oncologist every year but I choose to look on that as simply confirmation that I am doing well. Cancer changed my life bigtime, I found a person inside me I did not know was there.  I have since really lived my life, had some amazing experiences, met incredibly inspiring people, and learned some great life lessons.  It hasnt always been easy and my life is now vastly different from what I ever imagined it would be at 60 years young. I have been a support group facilitor for almost 7 years, have completed various training programs through the Cancer Council and other organisations, and have just begun to do a Diploma in counselling. We can learn from and support each other through our journey and while I fully accept that having had an "unknown primary" there is a possibility that this little rogue may surface again some time, I think in the meantime, I have other more exciting things to think about. I also want to say that having been honoured to read the Relay for Life oath in 2002 [central coast nsw] the importance of being able to attend this event is significant to many of us for different reasons.  We understand each other, we dont need to explain why this event is so special, why we are there, we just know.  I love relay, it is my personal reaffirmation time, and even though I think they make the track longer each year - lol, it is a wonderful time for renewal and reflection while raising funds for the Cancer Council. Finally, I was told I would probably not survive 5 years. Hope and humour - yep - I will take them anyday.  Best wishes with your continued journeys everyone. Lyn
0 Kudos
jenny
Occasional Contributor

Welcome

Hi I to have survived it is now 3 years since my last treatment of both radio and chemo I must so I feel so much better than this time last year. I am still struggling with eating are ver restricted in what I can manage to eat but I try not to stop me from having a "social life" I have joined to 2 support groups which meet regularly and I have made some good friends from these people.  When I moved here I had just completed treatment,left my job,sold my house and prior to that I had lost my husband to cancer13 months before. The only contact I had was my daughter who lives 20 kms away with her family.  I also have joined other groups which seems to fill my time in.  The only thing I find is that because I have lost so much weight people seem to think I am helpless and insist on trying to help me and I am determined I become independent.  I must admit some days I get rather down and think "why me" so then I put the lead on the dog and go for a short walk or drive down to the river and watch the water. I find this helps me settle and I am seriously thinking of taking up fishing.  I have just one question to ask (has anyone any tips or advice for the dry mouth and if there is and chance it will improve) my GP is very negative about this and my ENT DR seems more interested i if there is any sign of cancer.  By the way my cancer was on my left tonsil and would you beleive I still have my tonsils try explaining this to people who don't understand Kind rgards to all
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Welcome

Hi Jenny, Way to go...9yrs!!I was told I wouldn't last 6wks and in Sept it will be 3yrs! Aren't dogs the best thing ever invented?I walk my 2 babies every morning on the beach(off leash beach)and no matter how lousy I feel when I get up,that is one thing I know will make me feel better. Like you,I lost a lot of weight very quickly(14ks in 2wks and I was only 55k to start with)and because of the scar from surgery etc,I had a lot of body image issues.Walking everyday has helped with toning and that is an added bonus. Keep up the good work
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.