Food Supplements. Fact or Fiction?

Jan
Occasional Contributor

I saw this in a glossy magazine that I can't recall the name of but I cut it out. I thought it was interesting and I have not done any further research, so it may be based on good fact or a brief story sensation, based on rat research, not humans. "Chromium -  is a critical nutrient in blood-sugar regulation as it increases insulin's efficiency. If chromium levels are low, blood sugar levels may remain high. the good news is that in individuals where chromium is low, supplementing the diet with chromium has been demonstrated to lower overall bodyweight, increase lean body mass, improve glucose tolerance and decrease total cholesterol and triglyceride levels. High chromium foods include brewer's yeast, broccoli, whole grains (expecially barley), cereals, nuts, oysters, mushrooms, rhubarb and beer and wine. Broccoli tops the list as the highest known quantity of chromium. One analysis showed that 140g of broccoli contained 22 micrgrams of chromium, 10 times more than any other food."    
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
mikey
Contributor

Hi Jan,Thanks for taking the time to post this up. I will make sure the info gets passed on to Kathy Chapman and Belinda Vangelov. Thanks for all your questions last night, hope it was useful session. Cheers,Mike
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.