HNPCC (Hereditary Non Polyposis Colon Cancer)

samex
Regular Contributor

Re: HNPCC (Hereditary Non Polyposis Colon Cancer)

Hi all, Just found this thread. After I finished treatment in April 2008, I saw a genetic counsellor at St George (Sydney). She took a family history as both my parents had bowel tumours (Dad malignant, Mum benign) but neither needed treatment other than surgery. My maternal uncle also had it. I provided her with a complex family history but haven't heard back from here. (THis was about September 2008, I think.) she didn't think that mine was, ironically, a genetic cancer as the markers indicated differently. Perhaps I should try to contact her again to follow it up. One thing that my GP commented on regarding kids was that if they are told they carry the gene, they can't be insured. He advised to not tell them if you have it and just ensure that the colonoscopies etc are carried out regularly. My family all have regular colonoscopies. Mine was clear 2 years before all went pear shaped and have been clear ever since. My surgeon calls me the family anomoly as I am the only one who has never had polyps!! Hence probably not heriditary. Samex
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.