Kidney Cancer

misshavachat
Not applicable

Kidney Cancer

I was diagnosed with Kidney Cancer in January 2008. I just noticed that I am giving the cancer a level of importance I hadn't realised until I saw the capital letters just then.  Is that usual? I would love to hear about other people's journeys who have/had kidney cancer. I will be honest and say that I am floundering a bit as my urologist is so "flippant" about it.  I don't understand how he can be when it is Cancer with a capital C. Anyways, would love to hear about you and your experiences.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Anthia
Not applicable

Kidney Cancer

Last November I had some unsual pains across my chest, back, stomach and my doctor suspected gall stones and so I had an ultrasound. It confirmed my doctor's suspicions but the ultrasound also revealed a mass on my right kidney. Over the next few weeks I had a CT scan and this proved to be inconclusive as to what the mass was so I had an MRI. Finally doctors were clearer as to what it was and yes it was renal cell cancer but until they removed it they wouldn't know exactly what type it was. I had my right kidney removed in March of this year and pathology showed that it was a chromophobe renal cell carcinoma apparently not to much to worry about according to my urologist. It's cancer!! I have found it very difficult to even think about it but I felt ready to discuss it here. I think that having the gall stones was a blessing in disguise. It has been difficult for me because about 5 years ago I had thyroid cancer and was in disbelief about being diagnosed with kidney cancer. At the time I thought I've already had my go with cancer why do I have to get another turn!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.