Pancreatic cancer

Mrk
Occasional Contributor

Pancreatic cancer

Hi, I am new to this website and am 4 months past a Whipple procedure. I am currently undergoing Chemotherapy (my fourth lot just started) with gemcitabine. I am looking to find others who have had the same treatment and might have clues or hints for me on how to navigate this track.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Pancreatic cancer

I am 10 months past whipple finished chemotherapy in march had 13 sessions couldnt get the other 5 sessions too ill.had same gemcitabine but everyone is different,wish you well in the treatment,I drank litres of water to flush chemo quickly I was not very hungry very tired but enjoyed weet bix,dont hesitate to ask any questions if you have any but now fatigue is gone kj
0 Kudos
Mrk
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the advice kj, I would be interested in knowing what exactly stopped your chemotherapy. I asked my oncologist this week why I was getting more nausea for more days after the last few doses and he said it's just the build up of the drug in my system. I felt very well when I had a two week break from the chemotherapy because of low platelets and neutrophils and then my planned week off- guess I am wondering why I have to keep going when there isn't really any evidence to suggest five courses are better than four or three! Also do you know if it's different emphasis for adenocarcinoma vs endocrine varieties?
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

The chemotherapy was stopped because of constant high temperatures it went to 41 i was disorientated and i was getting fluid in my lungs and elsewhere so my oncologist said it was too risky to continue the treatment.I see her every couple of months unless something goes wrong I have a wonderful gp who monitors me regularly my tumor count is very good so far last count it was low still ,am not sure about the different emphasis on adenocarcinoma and endocrine varieties i have adenocarcinoma the weight i have put on has gone to my face,but not the body i am feeling well but it fluctuates,sorry i cant help you anymore I am glad chemo was stopped so is my family i had the heater on constantly I was cold all the time and out of breath hope this helps but we are all different,so good luck in youre battle with this illness. kj
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Mrk, I've learned that oncologists follow the standard procedure and can not predict when it is sufficient to stop. They slap you with 18 rounds of the chemo treatment. PC sufferers are all different and many factors should be considered when prescribing this treatment. My partner could not tolerate the Gemcitabine so we decided to stop after round 3. She has felt pretty much the same as you when she was on it. It has been now more than 2 months (29/3/11) since she had the last round and she is feeling excellent. She went to see the surgeon and he was positive. She is going to see her oncologist in about a month. It has been 6 1/2 months since she was operated on and if she did not know she would not know she had it. The last CA 19.9 test was 32. Only her WB count is slightly lower. The liver test was normal. Other than that we are focusing on making sure her immune system is where it should be - strong and kicking. We consider vitamin D very important (over 100 now). Energy levels are up (vitamin B and E). She takes American PawPaw capsules + lots of garlic, papaya, black seeds, turmeric, and avoids meats (kangaroo and fish + some chicken a couple of times a week) but she compensates with protein shakes. Read my blog for more info. We are positive and optimistic. There are down days but it is usually psychological issues than physical. We do not regret calling off the chemo treatment and we consider it to be the best decision we've made. Ultimately it is you who will decide how to go about it, not the doctors. Be proactive and make sure you are one step ahead of what they tell you. Keep everything in check and do not take their "she'll be right" attitude, if they display it. We have been told check ups every 3 or 6 months for CT and blood tests but we to the blood tests every 4-6 weeks. We alternate between 2-3 doctors. At this stage it all seems to be under control. Any questions? Contact me either here or on my PM...happy to be of assistance if I can. Good luck and all the best!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.