Sh!t Cancer Dumps

paulinejs
New Contributor

Sh!t Cancer Dumps

The Young Adult workshop - affectionately known as the “Sh!t Cancer Dumps” workshop held over two weekends Saturday 29th June and Saturday July 13th has been a fantastic opportunity for young adults to connect with each other face to face, share experiences and learn some great tips and techniques to help deal with the challenges that finishing treatment presents. We were introduced to the concept of Thought Attacks™ - which is what happens when your mind focusses on your negative thoughts and the aspects of your situation. We also learnt how to use the Red Card Technique to deal with this. Some of the Key Learnings were; Stress is created from your thoughts about the situation Transform your Thought Attacks™ by finding a new interpretation of the situation Stress cannot exist in the present moment Stress is created from an internal rather than an external source Stress is a feeling residing in a specific place in our body Changing our negative beliefs about our challenges helps us to become resilient There is a part of us untouched by illness and suffering Red Card Technique, Opportunities Card, Present Moment Bell and the Resilience Stone all went into the little black bag of strategies to take away and use. I know I will be looking at my resilience stone. Which one of these do you think you will start using this weekend? Pauline
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Shannon_B
Occasional Visitor

Re: Sh!t Cancer Dumps

Hi Pauline! It was really great to meet you, Meiron and the rest of the crew there. I'm hoping to make use of everything we learnt. My stone and bell are ready to go! Looking forward to seeing if the others sign up. It would be great to keep in touch with them. Thank you to all the others that attended. It was nice to meet so many good people and share in their journey. Shannon.
0 Kudos
Allie_Greenwood
New Contributor

Thanks for a wonderful weekend! Can't wait to catch up with everyone again soon. Allie PS- thinking of you and sending out really positive vibes for tuesday Shannon
0 Kudos
Rebecca_B
Not applicable

Good to see you here Allie! Thanks for the positive vibes for Shannon for Tuesday. Our resilience stones have found a place on our kitchen bench 🙂
0 Kudos
anniem
Cancer Council NSW

Wonderful to see you all again on Saturday guys Sounds like the resilience stones are a hit at the moment and I did like the idea of keeping the bell in the back pack so every time you pick it up its a reminder to be in the present......unless of course you are jogging with the back pack and then it could work either way! Looking forward to hearing more about the ways you are all going to use the little bag of strategies. Keep the ideas rolling in and we can share with everyone Cheers Annie
0 Kudos
Kirsten_Durie
New Contributor

Hi guys What a great workshop hey? Just wanted to say nice to meet you all and thanks for sharing your stories and advice on how to share my own story with others oh and how to better manage an...interesting boss! Cheers Kirsten
0 Kudos
anniem
Cancer Council NSW

Hi Kirsten, So pleased you enjoyed the workshop. Let us know if there is anything you put in to place that you are happy with and think others can benefit from , Have fun at work and ignore the monkeys no matter how cute! Cheers Annie
0 Kudos
paulinejs
New Contributor

Hi Shannon Thanks for being part of the workshop and sharing your experience. Glad the stone and bell are ready to go. Mine are on my desk. Pauline
0 Kudos
Sooozeee
Not applicable

Hi crew, Just stopping by to say hello and thanks for a great workshop. Was wonderful to meet you all. I learned a lot! Keen to do some weekend walks round Sydney Harbour foreshore and/or national parks. Anyone else? Suzie
0 Kudos
James_Garnham
Not applicable

Hi all, It was such a great pleasure meeting you all at the workshop. Looking forward to catching up soon. James.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.