Stress, Nutrition

pinkeye
Occasional Contributor

Stress, Nutrition

Hi all who read this post.  I am writing this bit as a follow up to my previous post.  Since then I have been to a week workshop at the Patrea King Quest for Life Centre in Bundanoon, NSW. The course I did was not specifically for cancer survivors or patients, they have other courses specifically for those,  it was generally for people who have had some sort of trauma in their life.  The focus was on healing yourself, so you learn all sorts of techniques that you later have to go away and put into practice.  The most useful thing for me was going through different meditation and relaxation practices.  I had some concerns prior to doing the course as I come from a scientific and maths thinking background and was thinking that some of the stuff might be a bit 'far out'.  But I need not have had those concerns as it was a practical course, everyone got involved and were open and friendly. I would like to go back and do more courses, they have one specifically for cancer survivors.  Over all I would recommend the centre. In hind sight the course for cancer patients would have been a good course to do before my treatment (with my partner there as well).  The course cost a fair bit, but they do say that they do not turn anyone away and there are subsidised places if the course cost is financially out of reach for you.  Its been a week since I did the course and I am trying to put what I learnt into practice.  It means some changes in routine, making time for meditation, changes in diet and mental changes in the way you see the world.  I'll post again in a month and let you know if I have kept it up.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
pinkeye
Occasional Contributor

Stress, Nutrition

I am interested in this topic too and would love to hear from anyone about their experiences.   I haven't had much success with self help books or CDs as they don't seem to be on the same wavelenght as me.
0 Kudos
Stephen
Occasional Contributor

Stress, Nutrition

I truly believe that take the stress out of your life and eating healthy is the start to fighting back. I have seen the results of my wife on return from retreats at Dr Ian Gawler in Melbourne and see the spring in her step. This retreat was for cancer sufferers and their carers. During the retreats 10 days was the first one ( 5 day refresher retreats after that) you learn to meditate to seperate the stress from your life and to eat healthy including vegetable juices to ensure you get the right intake of required vitamins minerals and anti oxidants during and after any chemo treatments. I am sure other retreats like the Petrea King and those similar would give the same benefits. Has anyone else been on this type of retreats and had similar life changing results? I would be interested to know what retreats and where they were.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.