endometrial cancer

kakapo
Not applicable

endometrial cancer

I never even heard of this before - I knew about ovarian cancer and cervical cancer, and I thought that was it for the female reproductive tract. Is uterine cancer the same thing or is that more of a generic term for any cancer in the vicinity of the uterus? Can anyone recommend a reliable source (website, book, pamphlett - anything!) for detailed information specifically about endometrial cancer? Also, does anyone know if there is a link between a family history of breast cancer (mother, both grandmothers), prostate cancer (father) and endometrial cancer? Or whether there is any research about this?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
benlisecca
Contributor

Re: endometrial cancer

Hi kakapo, I'm sorry I don't know much about endometrial cancer but I do know that there is a familial cancer service over at Westmead Hospital (Sydney) that looks into all the genetic links. It's just a referral from the GP and is free. If there is one at Westmead then possibly there are other units at a large hospital close to you. They'd know the latest on any genetic links. Hope this might help. Sharon xxxxx
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Kakapo & Sharon, Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, it is a scarey time. You can find the info you need through the cancer council, there are also information booklets at all major hospitals. Here is a link to some info based in Australia. http://www.gynaecancersupport.org.au/ From what I understand the endometrium is the lining of the uterus. I have sent you an invite to our group here at cancer connections, there are other women in our group with cancer of the uterus. Take care Vanessa
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

Hi Kakapo, I've recently started treatment for Uterine Cancer, but my doctor also refers to it as Endometrial Cancer as, in my case, the cancer started in the lining of my Uterus and spread to an ovary and pelvic lymphnodes. So, unfortunately for me my Cancer is now at stage 3C instead of 1C like originally thought. My mother passed away from Breast Cancer years ago, so maybe there is a link between the two? One of the drugs they were giving me for chemo previously was one for breast cancer. Now they've changed it to just Taxol and Carboplatin. It's such a hard thing to do. I'm really finding this a very hard diagnosis to deal with.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.