Daughter of Terminal Patient

JasAri3875
New Contributor

Daughter of Terminal Patient

Hi there. 

My mom was originally diagnosed with neuroendocrine neoplasm originating on her epiglotis. Since it has metastasized to most major organs and her skeletal structure. A few weeks ago she was officially placed on hospice. I am having an extremely hard time focusing on right now. I just keep thinking about everything she might not be there for. How do I move past this mental block and appreciate the time I have? 

Thank you in advance for your support and advice.

5 REPLIES 5
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Daughter of Terminal Patient

Hi JasAri, so sorry about your mum’s diagnosis. When my mum was dying I thought I would not be able to live without her. It’s going on to 3 years without her and somehow I have moved on. I still have moments of sadness and miss her always. I think you must be a lot younger than me as mum was with me for most of my life. All I can suggest is just be with her as much as you can. I would sing to mum, pray for her, cry! I don’t know if this helps you. It’s just so hard and so distressing to go through this. Hope you have family and friends to support you with your emotions. 🙏💕 Linda G

JasAri3875
New Contributor

I am 32. She is only 58. I'm getting married this summer and don't know if she will still be here or be able to attend. I am having a very hard time with it. My fiance is extremely supportive but my dad is so angry he is taking it out on me which is just feeding my depression. 

0 Kudos
Lyndy60
Occasional Contributor

So sorry to hear this about your mum. I don’t know what to say during this hard time for you. My heart goes out to you.

I recently got diagnosed with tonque cancer and am about to go thru chemo radiotherapy.  

0 Kudos
JasAri3875
New Contributor

When my mom was still going through treatment the radiation affected her more than the chemo. Usually about a day or two after chemo and about a week for radiation. I wish you all the luck with your treatment. 

0 Kudos
Lyndy60
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Jas. And I pray for u and your mum during this difficult time. 🙏🙏
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.