Hi! Catch-up for young people in Melbourne living with Cancer

Abee_Belle
New Contributor

Hi! Catch-up for young people in Melbourne living with Cancer

Hi everyone! My name is Abee and I am 26. My hubby and I are keen on setting up a network for young people living with cancer in the Melbourne area. It would be great to connect with others in a similar situation to us and have a chat about the journey as well as common interests. We would be really keen to set up something regular, and would love to get some suggestions and feedback from like-mined friends!! I guess at this point I want to gauge who's keen to catch up one night in the next couple of weeks in a friendly environment for a bit of a 'Think Tank' and see what we come up with.. Let me know if you’re interested and we will go from there. Cheers!
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
charlotte
Not applicable

Re: Hi! Catch-up for young people in Melbourne living with ...

Hi Abbee, I am not personally living with cancer but have been hugely impacted by it over the last two years of my life. I too am 26 and I have just moved back to Melbourne from New Zealand where I was my mums primary caregiver during her 14month battle with advanced bowel cancer. Throughout this time I often felt I did not receive the support or treatment others did because of my age. I would love to meet people my age who have also had their lives affected by cancer and I am keen to use my experience for a positive purpose.
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Abee and Charlotte, The Warwick Cancer Foundation was specifically set up to support people diagnosed with cancer between the ages of 25-40 (an often overlooked demographic, as you can both appreciate)They're a national organisation, based in Melbourne. They have 'members catch-ups' a few time a year, and a peer support program which 'buddies' people in the same demographic and the same cancer (if available). They can also provide practical and financial assistance. My husband has been a member since he was diagnosed with lymphoma 3 years ago, and they have been really helpful for both of us (although, Charlotte, you may need to know they definitely concentrate more on people with cancer than their supporters/carers). Having said all that, I think your idea is great! I only mentioned TWCF because it might save you having to do so much ground work. Please keep me posted. Emily
0 Kudos
Abee_Belle
New Contributor

Hi Ladies! Awesome to hear from both of you, and thanks for that info. I have had a few people interested in meeting up so I will keep looking and see if we can organise something in the next couple of months, something that families and friends can individually get involved in too! I will look into TWCF too so cheers for that! Thanks so much for getting in touch and I'll keep you guys posted! Abee xxx
0 Kudos
CamHort
Not applicable

Hi my wife is the one diagnosed with advance breast cancer - and it's been just over 12 months now. Slowly coming to terms with it all. Still very up and down. I'm 29 and looking to catch up with people in similar situations as carers do get over looked a little bit as we are not the ones with the condition, but we need to stay strong for our loved one. Well any way i'm in South east suburbs of Melbourne - Cam
0 Kudos
Abee_Belle
New Contributor

Hey Cam! Thanks for the message and I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I will keep you updated if I can organise a group get together but please feel free to send me a private message if you want to catch up or just chat, we live in Carlton so not too far away 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.