Just diagnosed

SouthcoastMaz
New Contributor

Just diagnosed

Hi All,

I have just been diagnosed with a small slow growing tumor in the  upper lobe of my right lung so I am sure I will be having surgery to remove it, the tumor is currently under 2cms so the outlook is quite good fingers crossed.  I am wondering if anyone else on here has had this surgery and has any advice on recovery, what helped them sleep how long before you were able to go for a walk etc.  I will lose one lobe and at present I am looking for a second opinion as first doctor wanted to do open surgery so it could be biopsied, it's in tricky spot and it cannot be done in the usual way, however my second PET scan tells me it is a cancer and it should be removed and I want VATS surgery as I believe it will be a quicker recovery, I am almost 74 and want avoid such a big surgery if at all possible. I will be having my surgery in Canberra if I can as I live on the South Coast, and Sydney is quite a long way especially to return after a major surgery.  I would love to hear from anyone who has walked this path and wants to share their wisdom.

Blessings Maz

2 REPLIES 2
KaceJax
Contributor

Re: Just diagnosed

Hi there! I didn't experience that, but I'm here to give moral support all the way. Actually, lung tumors can be either cancerous (malignant) or benign (non-cancerous). In your condition, hopefully, its non-cancerous. Anyway, praying for your fast recovery after the surgery.

0 Kudos
SouthcoastMaz
New Contributor

Re: Just diagnosed

Thanks for your reply it is actually a slow growing low grade tumor and I am seeing a surgeon on Friday, a second opinion after the first one only offered me open surgery which is really traumatic, so my wonderful oncologist has referred me to another surgeon who I will see on Friday for a VATS surgery. I am not looking forward to this at all but grateful that it has been found while still quite small under 2 cms so I should not need anything else except surgery to remove one lobe of my right lung. 

I am sure I should be able to recover, although it will probably take a couple of months. 

Thanks again for your reply

Maz

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.