Online support

James2375
New Contributor

Online support

Hi all 

my partner was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in feb this year and although initial treatment was good it has now changed and spread so we are told there is nothing more that can be done. 
I am trying to find people that she can talk to for support other than me and her family that maybe understand what she is going through and also any advice on anything that can help ? 
Thanks in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Online support

james2375

Hi james

pancreatic   cancer that has spread elsewhere is very debilitating both physically and mentally,trying to keep depression from overwhelming the person is difficult,I am a survivor of it,I have met online and in person others diagnosed with it,each person can react differently to the diagnosis,as you know ,the love and support of family and friends during this most difficult time in their lives can help ,leave no words unspoken ,I encouraged my family to talk with me about any of the issues we faced.

Talking with the GP or a psychologist can be beneficial,talking with others with similar diagnosis can be helpful ,as most people have the same fears,doubts and concerns with what is happening with their lives she may get  advice on how to hep at this time.

James2375
New Contributor

Hi 

thanks for the reply. I do keep telling her she needs to talk to people outside of the family as her family have taken it badly and struggle to keep their emotions which is understandable as they are all very close. 
did you do anything differently to help you survive ?? She had chemotherapy which went well however the radiotherapy didn’t nothing and it has as I said spread now. We have looked into alternative stuff and she is trying a couple of things but wondering if you have any advice or things that worked ??

thanks once again for the reply. 

james 

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

I was one of the lucky ones, I had surgery then chemo,during chemo I was told I was terminal They stopped my chemo near the end of my cycle,they said I wouldn’t have lived with more treatments,my oncologist can’t explain why I lived,one of those unexplained medical happenings,I have eaten mushrooms cooked consistently since that time,I read mushrooms supposedly stimulate your immune system,I read a bit concerning pc recently they are targeting turning on the immune system to help fight the cancer with immunotherapy it’s still in early phase,if you can have the cancer analaysed they can target the particular variant individually with a treatment more suited,still early days,the Avner foundation make grants to medical scientists to help develop new treatments.

I downloaded relaxation tapes to listen to and help my mindset.

I am one of the lucky ones it wasn’t my time ,I wish I could give some advice to you and others about my survival but unfortunately I can’t,I just took it one day at a time I still do

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.