PICC lines

Selma
Occasional Visitor

PICC lines

Hey there! I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia back in July and since then I’ve gone through two PICC lines and am currently on my third. They keep getting infected and I end up suffering because of it. Ive dealt with awful fevers and have had the most horrible experiences with rigors. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I keep my PICC dry and any nurse who has ever changed my dressing has been in correct ppe and kept the area sterile. Also, I know that bleeding from the insertion site is normal after the first two ish days after insertion, but my own PICCs have always had a small amount of dried blood around them almost all the time. I can’t find anything online about insertion site bleeding other than right after Insertion. The nurses don’t seem too concerned but I would appreciate any advice or personal experiences. 
I hope everyone is doing well ❤️

2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: PICC lines

Hi Selma,

I had a port-a-cath (often referred to as a port) installed for my chemo, which i had every 2 weeks for 6 months. It was hassle free for me.

I'm not too sure why a doctor or nurse would choose a PICC line over a port-a-cath. Maybe it's worth asking the question?

-s

0 Kudos
Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

Re: PICC lines

Sch

How was the side effects during your treatment?

I like the idea of only getting one treatment every 2 weeks. 

Hope all is well with you 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.