PSA rising again.

New Contributor

PSA rising again.

Hello all,

First post. 57yo male, had radical prostatectomy 5.5 years ago. I know that is considered young, but there is a deep family history of prostate cancer. Follow up radiation therapy was required and my PSA fell to its lowest level 2.5 years ago. Since then it has been rising exponentially. The reading itself is still very low (0.16) but it has gone up by the same amount in the past 6 months as in the previous 12 months. It only went up 50% in the 12 months preceding that. I have another follow up in 3 months and my radiotherapy oncologist and I agree that the reading will probably then be over 0.2, warranting a PET scan to see where the cells are. I am symptom free, but I do have the typical residual side effects of the original surgery and follow up treatment.

My reason for joining this community is to search for similar journeys that others have experienced, and to try and understand what might be in store for me. 

I get that the next phase of my treatment will probably involve hormone treatment and I'm actually OK with the physical changes to my body that might occur as a result, but it would still be good to learn about other peoples experiences who have gone along a similar path.

3 REPLIES 3
Super Contributor

Re: PSA rising again.

Hi Journeyman,

Thank you for joining and sharing your journey.

I hope you are feeling better.

-s

0 Kudos
New Contributor

G'day sch, thanks for replying.

I've never actually felt unwell! I'm still hoping to hear of other members experiences of hormone therapy for recurrent prostate cancer, to try and get my head around what might be in store for me.

Super Contributor

I had bowel, so a different treatment.

I won't be any good to you I'm afraid.

All the best. Keep us posted about how you go. I'd love to hear more about how you go.

-s

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.