Palliative care provides???

Jules2
Super Contributor

Palliative care provides???

HI everyone I just wanted to follow on from another thread without hijacking that one. It might be beneficial if we could all comment on what we think or know palliative care provides?? I personally don't know much about it and have just been rereading a post by a member in a particular group and have seen that they are helping with therapy for the grandkids. So, it is obvious to me that they provide more than just end care treatment. I know they can help out with home care also in providing hospital beds and aids that can help someone stay in their home for as long as possible and also know that it is not just for people who are at end stage. It just might help someone one day to stumble on a post such as this. Thanks in advance Julie
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
nello
Contributor

Re: Palliative care provides???

The Cancer Council explains it better than I could. Here is the link: http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/14670/b1000/palliative-care-41/what-is-palliative-care/?pp=74469&cc=7869&&ct=35 xx
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

nice one nello ... ty xx Might be good if we can get people to actually put some experiences in here also.
0 Kudos
Smek30
Not applicable

Of what I know in 11 short weeks it's a place for respite or to stabilise patients. There is private and public and also last stage of life care. You cannot however stay in Pallative care as we have been abruptly and continually told to exit within seven days . Not knowing about Pallative care it came as a shock, we now need to look for a bed else ware as I am not longer able to care for my beautiful mother. Very frustrated it's also available in aged care facilities and u certainly have to pay for the service you choose. This is fine just one hell of a learning curve and very difficult for the patient who is referred to Pallative then told too leave very difficult, just our experience and I imagine there are many positive experiences its of course the not knowing that makes ours more difficult . Wish u all the best just make sure you understand what type of bed you are offered in Pallative and physically check all other choices its a must . Thanks for this site wonderful place to share with others . Our battled goes on and also Pallative care also begins at home for many and is a great choice for many . All the best Bye smek30
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Smek So sorry to read of your experience. Thank you for sharing and hopefully that will alert someone else not having to go through the shock that you went through. Also, it may help to change systems and information tracks. Thanks again and hope you are travelling ok at the mo xx Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.