Potential for reoccurrence of NHL

andyatto
New Contributor

Potential for reoccurrence of NHL

Hi, 

I have a question that someone might be able to assist with. I was diagnosed with Primary Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma (diffused large B cell) which metastasised as a brain tumor / Central Nervous System (CNS) in 2012. At the time i was advised that I had 18 month, but clearly I am still here and I'm deemed to be in remission. Im 51 years old

My question is, does anyone know that chances of the cancer reoccurring. I don't/can't get a straight answer from my Oncologist. I know there are multiple factors but its been playing on my mind of late. If anyone can assist, it would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Potential for reoccurrence of NHL

Hi @andyatto,

Doctors are notorious for not committing to a definite time prognosis because they don't want to be sued.

I'm glad to hear that you're in remission. I don't know much about Non Hodgkin's, even though my broth-in-law had it many years ago. He didn't talk about it. He is still alive & kicking, though he has had some kidney issues of late that were apparently associated with his treatment.
I did a quick google & found that your chances are quite good for you being cured. Peter Mac put out an info sheet that says :

• 5-year survival for people with DLBCL is
about 53%. This means that for every 100
people treated for DLBCL, nearly 53 will still
be cancer free 5 years later.
• 10-year survival is about 46%. This means
that for every 100 people treated for DBLC,
nearly 46 will still be cancer free 10 years
later.
• These numbers have very likely improved since the introduction of rituximab treatment.

So, in my humble opinion, you should relax a little, while still obviously keeping an eye on things on a regular basis. 🙂

Enjoy your life. All the best.

Budgie

andyatto
New Contributor

Re: Potential for reoccurrence of NHL

Thanks so much Budgie

That is very reassuring. I try not to google too much as there is a lot of mis-information out there, but i do trust Peter Mac. Thanks again 😀

andyatto

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.