Prostate Cancer Stage 2

Rob71
New Contributor

Prostate Cancer Stage 2

Hi there, I am a51 year old male who has always been fairly healthy and active. 

my wife suggested I get a health check done when I turned 50.

This simple blood test identified a psa level that needed further investigation.

6 months later with the assistance of 2 more blood tests, an MRI that showed a legion growth taking 1/3 the size of my prostate up and then a biopsy taking 18 samples from the prostate has confirmed I have stage 2 prostate cancer.

I have to get a PET CT scan done in a week to check if the cancer has spread outside of the prostate or is still localised. 

I’m finding it extremely difficult to maintain a handle on my stress levels, to the point if have been having regular headaches, a couple of severe migraines and chest pains. I have been to doctor and hospital about the headaches and chest pains.

They recommend trying to relieve the stress as much as possible.

is there anyone that can offer adice on how when dealing with post cancer treatment/surgery do deal with the stress involved. 

I have always been worried even from a child about getting cancer and now it has happened I think that all those years of worry are suddenly erupting making this harder to deal with. 

cheers, Rob. 

0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Jett2Jess
New Contributor

Re: Prostate Cancer Stage 2

Hey Rob, 

I hear you that it is a confusing stressful time. I’m stage 3 breast cancer and am a basket case a lot of the time. I have found a few thing’s helpful. Mindfulness meditation apps, motivational quotes and affirmations. Even just a few minutes a day at first’s. I have found what I need is to be kinder to myself

, and ensure my self talk that i am trying developing, is as if I am talking to a good friend. I wish I had all the answers to help, truth is I feel lost but these are things that help me. I hope this can offer something for you however small. I wish you well.

Jett2Jess

0 Kudos
Jett2Jess
New Contributor

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Rob, so sorry about your diagnosis. I remember the anxiety when I was told I had cancer was just dreadful and I really battled with it. If I let myself just cry it out it would help for a time. Once I started treatment the anxiety was a lot better. It’s not knowing the extent of the cancer that is so hard. Hope you get some answers from the PET scan. 🙏💕 Linda G

Lyndy60
Occasional Contributor

Hello Rob

i am new to this site.  I recently got diagnosed with tonque cancer and have two melanomas out as well as lymph node dissection. I am awaiting radiation with a dose of chemo.

I have too always had a fear of getting cancer and have a history of family members passing away of cancer. I find that daily mindfulness particularly morning and night helps a lot.  When u get out of bed in the morning try a simple meditation with breathing and if u do it daily hopefully that will in time reduce your stress levels.  I never used to read but now I do. 
wonderful that u have a wife to support you. I live alone and although I have children whom are grown up and visit regularly, I find it very lonely and am trying to get my depression under control. I hope 🤞 you can find comfort and support also from other family members and close friends. 

0 Kudos
Lyndy60
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jett

Yes I too find it helps to do mindfulness, breathing, body scans daily.  I hope you will be ok Jett 🙏. I wish you weren’t a basket case every day, as you put it 😞 

0 Kudos
Rob71
New Contributor

Well I have been and had my cat pet scan, there where 3others in the waiting room that have had prostate cancer and in various stages of there treatments etc.

What an amazing weight was lifted as we spent 20 mins discussing each other’s stage of cancer, treatments etc. just to be able to talk to like minded people and the reassurance that they all started scared and frustrated also. 
There is a coffee group that meet once a month and I’m attending this tomorrow, for anyone out there that needs to hear this, you are not alone, we are all scared and talking with others will help. 

0 Kudos
Lyndy60
Occasional Contributor

Catching up with others face to face is a wonderful idea as an extra support group. 

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

That’s great about meeting up with others who share your journey Rob. Even now when I meet anyone with cancer I feel a connection with them. You only really understand if you’ve been through it and all our experiences are different but we have so many things in common. Enjoy your coffee morning 💕 Linda G

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.