Relay for Life ... a family affair

Mike
Occasional Contributor

Relay for Life ... a family affair

Is anyone in the forum planning to enter the Relay for Life in Centennial Park 21-22 May ? I've convinced 13 members of my family (including 5 kids) to form a team to celebrate our parents survival, and raise funds for the NSWCC. I'd love to hear from any other families who have gone in the Relay, and particularly how the event affected young children who took part. Was it a positive experience for them? Did it prompt many questions? Cheerio, Mike
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Ally3
Occasional Contributor

Re: Relay for Life ... a family affair

Hi Mike, I was in the midst of my treatment last year when a team from my work did it. And I was able to participate in my first relay for life in Canberra last weekend. I wasn't sure how I would go emotionally or physically but I found it quite a positive experience. I only managed to go for a couple of hours and it kind of wiped me out but i'm looking forward to next year and being able to stay longer. On the kid front there were heaps of kids, actually there were a lot more kids and teenagers than i expected. There was a lot of things for them to do as well as walk. We had about 5 kids in our team and they handled it really well because it is such a positive atmosphere. I say go for it. Ally
0 Kudos
Mike
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Ally for the interesting reply. We'll have five kids in our team too. Did any of your young ones make it through the night, or did they do they day shift? I imagine that having the kids there during the walk can have a very positive and motivating effect on cancer sufferers like yourself, and hopefully my parents too.
0 Kudos
Mike
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Ally for the interesting reply. We'll have five kids in our team too. Did any of your young ones make it through the night, or did they do they day shift? I imagine that having the kids there during the walk can have a very positive and motivating effect on cancer sufferers like yourself, and hopefully my parents too.
0 Kudos
Ally3
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mike, I didn't stay all night but all the kids did! We had tents and they all took it in turns to walk through the night. The eldest who was 12 stayed up all night the others crashed about 11pm but they were up bright and early the next morning to continue. Ally
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.