Suggestions for improvements and fine tuning, and bug checks, for Cancer Connections

Terrafirma
Contributor

Re: Suggestions for improvements and fine tuning, and bug ...

Hi everyone, I agree with everything Nikki has said here in this discussion she's started on members favorite photos, videos, music, books etc. Many people love to share some of their photos, and maybe music and videos and books too, and it's a great way for members to get to know each other a lot better and develop friendships. My only "complaint' about this is that I don't have more time to view, listen and watch :) And I agree that embedding videos posted onto youtube is a good way to go. Cheers, Ed.
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Ed, I was thinking something like what planet cancer does. A bit of info like in the profile page and then a little introduction of the blog entries with a link to read more. I will work on it on my test site and then will post some screen shots to see what everyone thinks. Raul
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

I am also hoping to have some some developments here too. I was also thinking, would it be better to have a separate blog page and profile page or maybe it would be better to combine them both? Look forward to hearing ideas on this. Raul
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Hi Raul, Just continuing on from re the blog stuff... I looked up the meaning for the word 'blog' this morning at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blog "A blog (a contraction of the term weblog) is a type of website, usually maintained by an individual with regular entries of commentary, descriptions of events, or other material such as graphics or video. Entries are commonly displayed in reverse-chronological order. "Blog" can also be used as a verb, meaning to maintain or add content to a blog. Many blogs provide commentary or news on a particular subject; others function as more personal online diaries. A typical blog combines text, images, and links to other blogs, Web pages, and other media related to its topic. The ability for readers to leave comments in an interactive format is an important part of many blogs." This definition encompasses what I think I blog should look and function like :) Also, I would like to share some of my favourite blogs so others can see what a blog can do and look like. Most of these are cancer related, but there is also a generic one that a friend of mine has started as a hobby. http://everythingchangesbook.com/ http://www.thecomfyplace.blogspot.com/ http://crazysexylife.com/ http://www.treadinglighter.net/ Cheers, nikki
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Nikki, Thanks for your comments. I have been thinking about this more. I thought maybe a way to do this could be by combining the profile and the blog homepage on one spot to make it easier for everyone and avoid confusions and at the same time to have a richer experience in one space. What do you think? I started playing with a test site to see how it can look. I will provide some screenshots when I have something more concrete. Hopefully at some point this week. Have a lovely week :-) Raul
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

sounds good Raul. Look forward to seeing your latest work in progress!
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Hi Raul, Love to know if you think the site needs an 'about us' section that explains the reasoning behind Cancer Connections and what it hopes to achieve etc? I would actually like something similar on the YACs page aswell, combined with an intro and possibly some stats etc. I am happy to help write this up for you 🙂
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Nikki, Have you had a look at the about this website section at the bottom is every page?. Is that what you had in mind?. I am more than happy to include something along the lines you are talking about on the YAC's page. It would be fantastic if you want to volunteer to provide some background info. Let me know more about what you think. Maybe we can have a quick chat to discuss it. Take care, Raul
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Raul hi, Here's a wild and ambitious idea from left field. If the software that Cancer Connections is currently running on does not have scope to add photos, videos, music etc, you could consider switching to the Ning social networking software that Planet Cancer runs on, at least for the young adults section. Eek! - well I did mention this was a wild and ambitious idea :) The basic software is free, and very easy to set up and use, but it comes with advertisements that Ning places, and storage and bandwidth limitations. Here's a brief summary in US dollars of what it might cost to have your own domain name rather than one with the word ning in it, remove the ads, and double the free storage and bandwidth quota. I'm mostly quoting from the Ning website here. All moneys are in US dollars. To use your own domain name (which you need to register elsewhere), you need to purchase the premium service called "Point Your Domain Name to Your Social Network" for $4.95 per month and configure your domain name to point to your social network. To remove the advertisements that run in the right column of your social network, you'll need to purchase the "Go Ad-Free" premium service for $24.95 per month. By default, your social network comes with a quota of 10GB of storage and 100GB of bandwidth. This is a social network with approximately 5,000 photos or 500 videos. If you exceed this you can purchase one or more units of Get More Storage and Bandwidth for $9.95 per month. Each unit purchased will add another 10GB of storage and 100GB of bandwidth per month. As I say, rather wild and ambitious, but nevertheless I throw it in the ring for contemplation 🙂 Cheers, Ed.
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Ed, Thanks for your comments. The current software has the ability to add any type of file including videos, photos and much more. What I am trying to do is to find some ideas on how to best approach this. The great thing about this software our community is built on (Drupal) is that technically there are not limitations and we can basically play and create anything without having restrictions like the restrictions you have in Ning. One of the main positive comments I have received is that the site so far is great because it is addressing an important need while still staying simple and user friendly. The challenge is to start adding the new features while still keeping that simplicity. That is why I ask what everyone thinks the best look or position of these new features could be. I am planning to add videos and photos soon but just wanting to make sure we stay simple and user friendly. Do you have any ideas on how we can do this?. On how it would look like? Raul
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.