TOO FEW RESPONSES!

diannep52
Frequent Contributor

TOO FEW RESPONSES!

I am new to this site - joined yesterday. I have spent the last couple of hours trying to negotiate my way through this site. I have been reading old topics from last year, and am amazed that there are generally so few responses! At times, there have been posts, that nobody responded too. I just wonder how that makes the person who posted the question/statement feel? Does it make them feel like nobody cares; their problem isnt 'big enough' to warrant a reply or just that it wasnt interesting enough. Do these people leave the site thinking it was a waste of time joining. There seems to be a few regulars who respond, which is great, but surely members can post a response to any topic, even it is just a smiley/sad face or an 'I dont know'. I feel any acknowledgement is better than nothing. Sorry to be picky, but I hope members respond to any comments I make or questions I ask.
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
Sailor
Deceased

Re: TOO FEW RESPONSES!

G'day diannep52 There are many reasons people join a site like this and it is not always to respond to others. I joined as in another life time I belonged to a similar site and found it very helpful. What characterised that site, this one, and I believe most similar sites, is that there is a core of people who work the site, put up there issues and respond to others. There are people who interact for a while, come and go as their need suggests. therre are others, who lurl on the site, watch what is going on and very occasionally contribute. cheers Sailor
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

thanks for the quick response Sailor. Maybe I had a different expectation for this site. I just thought so many people, with many varying types of cancer, would be able to answer questions, etc with far more accuracy than most. You seem to be a regular, I've noticed your name popping up throughout many of the discussions, do you know how many active members there are on this site?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Heya diannep52, People tend to come and go without any response maybe this is not for them who knows,some just join and have no status,i know some topics are out of my league so i don't answer them just in case people take it the wrong way and jump down my throat, i respond to newcomers and welcome them or join in if i think i have some valuable input. most don't seem to be active, I have had some conversations but they tend to stop talking after awhile. other may wish to just read and get comfort from that who knows. Hope you are travelling well and you eventually get what you are looking for. TC Dave
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

I think it is a fair point to raise because I have thought about it myself over the past two years. I tend not to respond to requests for physical health information as I know there is a whole professional network supporting us here and I don't find it all that interesting to talk about drugs, diseases and systems. I am more interested in conversation that is personal and involves reflection and attention to writing. I am very comfortable with the site accommodating each of those needs. i just don't feel I need to be involved in both of them. Also, some people just want to blurt and I guess I think they don't really want an answer. It seems to be more important to them to say what they say. Like me, now, perhaps. H
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

i sometimes feel like that.. but not just on here in general 😞 i guess people will respond if they want to.. sometimes maybe ppl dont know the answer? i think as long as someone does reply it will make you feel better 🙂
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

Hi diannep52 the site was my life line while having radiation and it was also where you could say what you think and no one gets upset. we are all on here for some reason or another and sometimes we just cant be on it every day. i would love to be able to chat to all, but time does not permit. i do try to login in once a week just to check on everyone and to see what they are up too, so keep posting your news and you never know, we might be able to chat. cheers Linda
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

thanks Dave. I guess that is a fair comment 'others may wish to just read and get comfort from that who knows'. I didnt think of that 'side of the coin'. thanks for your input. Di
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for all your input. your comments have put a new perspective on this site for me. Because I am new, I just assumed that this site would be the place for answers, but now I have read all of your comments, I realise that this could just be a 'sounding board' for some people, or a nice quiet online place to just rest and read other people's posts. I have had my eyes opened by all your comments. Thanks again. Di
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Heya Di, well you certainly made an impact and brought us to life..haha..which is a good thing. Most of the US sites seem to be the place to get specific answers to questions but as a fellow head & necker friend of mine says we can only tell you what we have experienced and that may not be the case for other individuals as we all react to things differently and it would be wrong(my opinion only now)for us to say that it will disappear or you will experience this and that. Boy can I chat,hope this explins it a bit better. Dave
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.