Treatment

Robkett
Frequent Visitor

Treatment

I have been diagnosed with cancer 2 weeks ago and i have private health insurance and i am $1000 out of pocket (gap fees for surgeon,oncologist ,eccess and ct/pet scans.....I have read that the Peter Mac cancer institute does not have out of pocket fees. Should i get a second opinion and get reffered to peter mac ?

2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Treatment

Hello @Robkett and welcome,

That's a very difficult question to answer, you're certainly entitled to seek second opinions though.

Have you spoken with your GP and/or oncologist about it? 

Has anyone had experience with changing oncologists/surgeons and can assist Robkett?

0 Kudos
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Treatment

Hi,

This probably doesn’t help, but my surgeon provides his services under both private health insurance and public systems. I asked back at the beginning to be treated under the public system and used private health insurance on a small number of occasions that necessitated the additional costs (eg, urgent gastroscopy). 

Ask your surgeon and oncologist gist if they can continue under the public health system. 

Regards,

Rick

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.