whipple procedure

kristel70
Occasional Contributor

whipple procedure

Hi I'm new to this forum.  Is there anyone out there living after whipple procedure which was done for pancreatic cancer.  I'm 3 months since surgery and have still got extreme nausea.  My doctor has put me back on metaclopramide ( maxaloN) but I've been on it for 3 months and am very worried about serious side effects.  So any information on living after whipple surgery and info on long term use of metaclopramide would be greatly appreciated, thanks

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kj
Super Contributor

Re: whipple procedure

kristel70

Hi I had a Whipple in 2010 for pancreatic cancer and also chemo after surgery,I didn’t need long term use of maxolon,3 months is still very soon after surgery,I remember it took many many months for me to get used to the new me,I was diagnosed terminal ,but the medicos are not always right ,it is a massive surgery and along the way you will have many doubts about your body and how it’s recovering don’t be afraid to ask your surgical team for help,I still take creon but within reason I can eat what I like,I found scrambled eggs my go to food for years ,walking and moving is excellent for you,feel free to ask me  about recovery but each of our bodies respond differently even though it’s 12 years survival in August I can remember how hard recovery is.We are in the outback camping one last time as my wife is becoming frail ,Internet cover here is spasmodic.but I will keep an eye on your post best wishes

kj

kj

0 Kudos
kristel70
Occasional Contributor

thanks for your reply, did you have gastroperiasis?? and if so how long did it last for??  This is one of the main causes of the nausea.  I hate food, don't want to eat.  having trouble even preparing food.  finding that I have to keep it simple like a piece of toast or something really simple to prepare.  I'm down to 53 kilos so am really worried about the food and the weight loss.  

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

I didn’t feel like food for months,Imy weight went from 70 kgs to 51 kgs,I’m now 62 kgs but it took a very long time to increase,like you I couldn’t look at food but took hospital sustagen smoothies with a banana blended in for sustenance.my wife has nausea caused by a neurological illness,she takes Domperidom for the nausea it helps ,ask your drs it possibly may help you it will get better over time very small meals and water,fingers crossed you improve over time.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.