Some people not wanting to develop a friendship with a cancer survivor

glenys48woods
Contributor

Re: Some people not wanting to develop a friendship with a ...

Hi Sarah, It's a shame the way u feel from what u have written. I experience the same thing too. People think that when surgery is over you are OK so everything is OK and finished. They don't know how emotionally and traumatic it is for you. Once they have it their opinions will change over night. My story is on line if u want to have a peep. Glenys.
0 Kudos
stirling
Contributor

Re: Some people not wanting to develop a friendship with a cancer survivor

Hi DJ, your post and in particular many of the replies brings many upsetting feelings to the surface for me. Although I'm not technically a survivor, everyday I wake-up I remind myself that I have survived another 24 hours. I no longer disclose my medical state nor any detailed personal history. Past relationship experiences have clipped my openness and honesty and I dump all obvious symptoms on my increasing age. Actually I look quite normal, whatever that is. Attempting to rekindle relationships with old  buddies has been surprising and in a few cases really shocking. Some simply dont wont to go anywhere near a discussion and others already have their opinions. Seems that some even have more knowledge about me than I do. My general attitude is if you dont wanna friend me because I'm sick then your're not worthy of my friendship anyway.  I hope everyone here is doing ok today and survive another day. My LOVE to you all.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.