33 years old with a scc needing radiotherapy

rarbie
Contributor

Hi, I am a 33 year old woman with SCC on my forehead that has been resected twice in March and then grew back in the line of the scar. I had it re-excised in October and start radiotherapy at the end of november. I am keen to hear from other young people with scc's. I have red hair and freckles. I would love to hear from other young people with skin cancer requiring similar treatment
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rarbie, I'm a 39 year old male (Gaffo) who has been successfully treated for both SCC & BCC skin cancers. I had MOS surgery 30 months ago for the SCC on my nose. Radiation was initially in the plan but wasn't required due to the succsess of the MOS surgery. If you haven't heard of this procedure, the surgeon takes one slither at a time from the affected area and freezes this section to veiw under a microscope. They can see using this method if they have clear cells outside of the cancer cells. They keep going untill clear cells can be seen. Microsurgery or skin grafts might be required to cover the affected area and radiation therapy may still be required if they wern't confident of getting clear cells in every direction. Just let me know if you would like further info and contacts. Regards Gaffo  
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Hiya Gaffo. Thanks for your info...It makes me feel less alone to hear that young people do get scc's (yep-under 40 is young!) I have had surgery 3x this year(not sure if it was this special kind of surgery or not) I will see my Onco Dr next Friday and will chat to him about it. I think it will be full steam ahead for radiotherapy at this stage. I start my 7 weeks of summer face bbq-ing next Monday:-) I should have a red forehead for Christmas day! Thanks and take care-will keep posting here during my treatment. P.S. I recommend the Cancer helpline+++ they are great support and help    
0 Kudos
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Great attitude Rarbie, I wish you all the best. The 7 weeks will pass quickly and the new year will bring a bright new future. Rest when you can and lean on your partner, family & freinds for all the support you need. I have noticed in the general discussion, some tips to sooth the skin from the affects of radiotherapy so check it out & I have a freind who's recently been through the ropes with breast cancer including radiotherapy , I'll pass on any advice she has to offer but always check with your doctors for compatibility. If you feel down, get on here and have a big whinge. It realy does help to let out your feelings. Gaffo. 
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Thanks gaffo So you managed to avoid the face BBQ?! I fear that because mine has deeply inflitrating into the nerves, that the surgery could be too radical. I do recall now the surgeon saying that if I wasn't a candidate for radiation (due to a blood disorder I also have) that he would consider more radical surgery (perhaps your type)involving 3 months off work and major skin grafts with the cosmetic results being 'disfiguirng' is that the surgery you have had? How big was your SCC-mine was ~ 1cm circumference and 'aggressive'! I am quite a passive/chilled out person who happens to grow aggressive scc's!!!!
0 Kudos
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rarbie, Mine was smaller then yours and they were able to cover the significant hole left in my nose using microsurgery which you recover more quickly from then skin grafts. The surgon cut down the middle of my forehead and then pulled the skin down over my nose to cover the hole which was left. The proceedure only took a couple of hours and I was sent home. I had one week of work but felt like I could have gone the next day, don't want to risk infection though. You do have a lot of loose skin on your forehead and its amazing what they can do. This might not be the option for you but its only a phone call. Feel free to e-mail me dirrectly jgaffney@invensys.com.au Gaffo    
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Thanks heaps Gaffo - you are the only other young person who has had a SCC I have met so far. Your strength gives me some and I will keep in touch via this site. Technology is amazing at helping people connect. Thanks also to the Cancer foundation for this site! I have got alittle 'shaky knees' about radio starting on Monday 26th, but have a 2 hour pampering session at my beautician this arvo to prepare myself. After a massage and an eyelash tint I can face pretty much anything that life throws my way. Have a fun weekend Carpe Diem!
0 Kudos
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rarbie, It doesn't sound as though you've been offered MOS surgery, you would definitely know if you had and of course I don't know who your treating doctors are but can I suggest you ask your doctor if you would be a likley candidate. I know the time is now short and you don't want to loose your spot on the Radiation que but it could be very worth your while if it turned out to be the better option for you. For my particular case MOS has a higher success rate then radiation and the proceedure is done in one day, all well for Xmas. Good luck with everything. I'll watch out for your posts and am happy to chat anytime. Gaffo  
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Thanks Gaffo. I think I am all set fro radio now-but I appreciate your advice. I am so tired at the moment and run down from the stress of juggling work and appointments. I came home for a nap today and will do so in future. It is emotionally draining 'waiting to start Rx' Alas next week it is full steam ahead with radio and I am looking forward to getting my first week of treatment under my belt. I am looking forward to shrinking this sucker of a cancer-it picked a tough target (me!) All the best with maintaining your health-it truly is a gift.:-)  
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.