Ardenocarsonoma cancer

smokey1
Not applicable

Ardenocarsonoma cancer

I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in February 2015. In june 2015, I had 6 weeks of radiation therapy and 5Fu chemotherapy. I have no symptoms before or after treatment.I have told it is an àndenocarsoninmo cancer. Can someone please tell me what this is so I can understand and maybe chat to someone who is going through the same
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Re: Ardenocarsonoma cancer

Hi Smokey, I also have oesophageal cancer, specifically metastic gastro-oesophageal adenocarcinoma. This means my cancer has spread (metastasized) and the type of cancer is adenocarcinoma. There are two main types of oesophageal cancer - adenocarcinoma which starts in the mucous producing glands and squamous cell carcinoma which starts in the squamous cells. Adenocarcinomas usually are found in the lower half of the oesophagus. Mine is at the junction of the stomach and oesophagus. I was diagnosed in January 2013. I have only been treated with chemotherapy. Currently I have 5FU weekly. I did have symptoms before diagnosis - long term reflux and then increasing difficulty swallowing food. Do you know what stage you are? Have you been offered surgery? How did you cope with the chemo? Please feel free to ask me any questions either via this forum or private message. All the best, Kathy
0 Kudos
ojces12
New Contributor

How are you going Smokey? It's a strange journey, I know. I was lucky enough to have had 

a 2cm tumour found in my oesophagal junction (OJC) in June 2014, by accident, during a gastroscopy for

slight reflux (often associated with a thing called "Barrett's dysplasia", which is apparently a common

precursor to OJC).  I think I've written in another post about what treatment I had. If you can't find it, and would like me to discuss this more, feel free to send me a post.  I can't promise to get back to you fast, though.  As you can see, it's taken me 3 years to even get to this stage of joining this website. I've tried before, but it kept telling me that my 

password was wrong, etc etc.

Best wishes,

ojces12

0 Kudos
ojces12
New Contributor

P.s. Smokey,

I had adenocarcinoma too. Kathy (? name) explained a bit about it in a post I saw, to you. It's a serious one.

Squamous cell and basal cell cancers are less serious.

Regards,

ojces12

0 Kudos
Royeoman
New Contributor

Re: Adenocarcinoma cancer

Hi

0 Kudos
Royeoman
New Contributor

Re: Adenocarcinoma cancer

Hi. I have adenocarcinoma, which started as ductal breast cancer, 3 years ago. It spread to my thoracic spine and I had to have 2 vertebrae removed in June 2017 and live with titanium rods in my upper back, which isn't fun.
Thanks🌺 Kathy, for the good explanation of 'mucous producing glands'. I'd googled but not much came up. What is FuChemo? I am on a (hormone) aromatase inhibitor, exemestane and calcium to strengthen my bones.
Regards Ri
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.