Arterial Scar Tissue

Raven
Occasional Contributor

Arterial Scar Tissue

Hello out there! Is anyone else here dealing with artherosclerosis as a result of radiation therapy?  If so, I'd appreciate hearing from you as to how you're dealing with it, what kind of medical or naturopathic treatment you're using and how effective it is, etc. Last fall, quite accidentally, it was discovered that ALL of the arteries leading to my brain are narrowing due to the development of scar tissue inside of them caused by the radiation. I just had a sub-clavicular stent placed Friday 8/8 to act as a sort of by-pass of the carotid on that side, which is 70-80% closed now.  The other carotid is 50-60% blocked and the two at the back of the neck are even moreso.  The doctors have me on a table-top full of prescription meds to control blood pressure, cholesterol, blood thinning, etc., but I've added garlic, CoQ10, flax oil, E, C, and will start with apple cider vinegar this week in an effort to stop using some of these drugs.  Any other suggestions? I'm really alarmed by this news and would love to know how others have dealt with the same issue.  I'm also in need of some moral support, as I have no support system for this within the cancer survivors' community where I live and my family has withdrawn from me as though I'm some sort of malingerer.  After all "the cancer was 'cured' wasn't it, so what's your problem?", is essentially the input they have for me.  I'm dealing with other after-effects as well and just need to connect with others who will understand.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
bev
Frequent Contributor

Arterial Scar Tissue

Hello friend, As I have said before I cannot begin to try and understand how you are feeling or what to say. But, what I can say is if you feel like babbling on(to get it off your chest), just send me a message. Thanks for accepting me as your friend. Bev
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.