BCG immunotherapy

Mike2
New Contributor

BCG immunotherapy

Hi all, has anyone had a BCG lately? I’ve just been diagnosed recently and am told I need a BCG. Had a Cather many years ago for another reason and pain was terrible! Are they still very bad? Can you have gas or other options. Is it likely I’d need a day off after having it each time (told I’d need 1 each week initially).

many thanks if you had any experiences.

Mike

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Jude11
New Contributor

Re: BCG immunotherapy

Hey there Mike

feel for you mate had a large bore bladder irrigation catheter hanging out for 10 days they are not pleasant but you need to ask about other alternatives so you know if you've got any other choices as well or make friends with the catheter if they can keep the same one in place it will cease to be uncomfortable after a few days and you'll know its probably going to save your life

you should google bcg effectiveness and side effects as well mate

0 Kudos
Mike2
New Contributor

Thanks for that. Yeah, still looking into it all. 

Cheers,

Mike

0 Kudos
Jennifer66
Contributor

HiMike 

I finished my12th treatment of BCG immunotherapy in August 2023, without any problems reason for second round; fortunately female catheter treatments are pain free unfortunately I believe it is the opposite for males and the reason they cannot BCG treatments, sorry I cam be no help to you 

0 Kudos
Mike2
New Contributor

Thanks Jennifer. I’m still waiting to find out when I start. Glad it was mostly pain free for you. Guess I’m about to find out soon. 
cheers,

Mike.

0 Kudos
Jennifer66
Contributor

Good luck Mike when your BCG immunotherapy starts, the catheter is for so a short time maybe a couple of minutes if that and I do realise it is painful for men, but for the next two hours all pain free , so you have absolutely got this 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.