Cervical Cancer, radiation and chemo for treatment, any advice, wisdom etc??

traceypcktt
Occasional Contributor

Cervical Cancer, radiation and chemo for treatment, any advice, wisdom etc??

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer 4 weeks ago today, it truelly does feel like months since that day. I finally got my treatment plan today, I was given one two weeks ago but they decided to run a PET scan first instead. I have been told that I will need - 4 weeks external radiation, 5 days a week - 1 chemo session for each of those 4 weeks - 4 rounds of internal radiation - possibility of 4 further chemo sessions after that as part of a world wide trial. I am 33 years old and all this is going to leave me infertile and will also take me straight into menopause. If any one has had similar experiences or has any hints or tips about chemo, radiation (internal especially), menopause or anything else really I would love to hear them. Treatment isn't starting for 4 weeks but I kinda want to know whats in store and have the oppertunity to prepare myself mentally and physically as best I can. Thanks so much, Trace
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable

Re: Cervical Cancer, radiation and chemo for treatment, any ...

Hey Tracey, Cant help you with the internal radiation, Im having external radiation (on my 3rd week now, half way thru my treatment) but for the other end. I know its painless, doesnt hurt, so far my skin is holding up, only a pink tinge showing, (Im absolutely lathering it and letting the skin absorb Sorbelene cream at least 4 times a day. Menopause I know about, at 47 went through it early starting at 42 odd, its not the greatest experience Id hate to tell you, they dont call it the change for nothing. The hot flushes can be irritating, they come on at any time, I used to peel clothes off until I cooled down or fan myself, I never opted for the HRT myself, I went onto Remifemin natural tablets and I found that they worked really well for me. Its the mood swings that can bring you down to, my skin used to feel itchy and I hated being touched. Not to mention the lack of sex drive which accompanied it. Everyone is different, and hopefully you wont be too bad. Its hard emotionally and physically, I used to feel I wasnt a woman anymore to a point, funny, never missed cycles before I had them. I hope it all goes well for you, keep positive and good luck! Hugs Leesa
0 Kudos
traceypcktt
Occasional Contributor

Hey Leesa thanks for your response. Spoken to a few people who have had external radiation and yeah they have all said the same, painless and also advised lots and lots of sorbelene, so thank you for that feedback, good to know that seems to be the most common scenerio. I do very much appreciate your insight into the whole menopause thing, I think that, and the internal radio, are the most concerning for me. My doctor yesterday mentioned HRT to me but I think I would like to go down the natural path too, can you tell me more about that and why you choose that particular 'brand' of medication? Was HRT recommended? I really wish you the best of luck with the rest of your treatment too Leesa. Take care Trace
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Trace, Its abit of a blur to me now, HRT was recommended to me, but being abit dubious on drugs I opted out. (I wont take Panadol even unless absolutely necessary, so you can imagine how I feel on radiation, but sometimes its just necessary unfortunately.) I did abit of research on the net into some of the natural products and a chemist recommended remifeminin as an alternative so I checked it out online. It contains just all natural herbal products and black cohosh (I think thats how its spelt which apparently the native indians used to use) Dont quote me on that tho, I think I read that somewhere in the dark past lol. I had to take it for a couple of weeks (I take 2 tabs in the morning) before I started feeling any better, but I know it works for me anyway, as I have had to go off them twice for ops. When I stopped them, Id end up getting the mood dramas again. HOpe the info helps. Cheers Leesa
0 Kudos
Mignon
Contributor

Hi Tracey, so sorry to hear about your situation.Cancer sucks !!! Re the menopause symptoms. I started taking a natural herb marketed under the name of Promensil well before I would have started menopause normally, just to help with PMT. It was great. I used it for several years. I had to have a radical hyster ( for other reasons) and continued on with the Promensal tabs and the Gynae guy was amazed that I didn't have any menopausal symptoms and hence did not require HRT. I would recommend them to anyone, but check first with your oncologist. Take care. Mignon ps .i think Remifemin might be the same ingredient.
0 Kudos
traceypcktt
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mignon Much appreciate the feedback. Pretty keen to go down the natural path as I will be putting my body through so much trauma etc what ever I can do natural I will. Remifemin seems to be the go, heard about it else where as well as here. Of course will do my own research into but its always nice to get some personal recommendations too. Thanks again, take care, Trace
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Hi Tracey, If you're thinking about taking steps to try and preserve your fertility before treatment begins, you may find the annotated links I've put on the webpage http://bestcancersites.com/fertility/ useful. Cheers - Ed.
0 Kudos
sally_deleiuen
New Contributor

i had to go thought - 5 weeks external radiation, 5 days a week - 1 chemo session for each of those 5 weeks - 4 rounds of internal radiation i also have to travel down from geelong to Melbourne every day. i also had two young children at home to look after i was only 28 when i was told that i have i am now 31. it now it has been 1 year clear of cancer it dose get easier day by day
0 Kudos
weezyschannel
New Contributor

Hi ! I am so sorry for what you are going through. I did find this site of a survivor who seems to have went through all this. Pretty good information. Stage IIB cancer. I had stage 1 with hysterectomy. I read her story a couple days ago. You can check it out. mystoryofcancer.com Good luck to you! Its been 17 years for me and so far, so good!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.