Colorectal surgery

kj
Super Contributor

Re: Colorectal surgery

Tom

A mate of mine had rectal cancer surgery,then he had half of his liver removed,as well,he is in to his third year,he is stage4,he also had Chemo,radiation,and now he is on a maintenance dose of chemo he has worked most of this time,he lost his wife to Cancer about 5 years ago, for him working takes his mind off it, 

He goes camping,cuts his own wood, I realise not everyone can respond how he has to these treatments,but if surgery is a chance,and liver resection occurs it can increase expectancy until further advances are made I take so much inspiration from how he is going about his life he says he is living with Cancer.

Iyana271
Contributor

It becomes possible because of his will power, I guess he has a strong will power that he responded positively to treatment and living his life to its fullest. 

Btw thanks for sharing this inspirational story here.

0 Kudos
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Tom

I had colorectal surgery in July. Thought it was stage 2 initially but after surgery they upped me to stage 3. Found it in a lymph node. So off to chemo for me.

This was my first surgery... and what a kicker! Wasn't real nice.  it was about 20cm of bowel removed, which included the top of my rectum. It also included an ileostomy, which was a whole new life experience. was only supposed to be about 6 weeks, but then I needed chemo.

I feel fortunate that my chemo only needed to be 3 months instead of 6.  I couldn't cope with the chemo. I ended up in hospital with 3 out of 4 cycles. 

Eventually had my ileostomy reversed in December. That was a strange 2 months of trying to relearn what my body had forgotten. This was a time that I thought I'd getting over it all, but I was house bound. Couldn't stray far from the bathroom.  Many times I just wanted the ileostomy back. It was far worse than I expected.

Things are still a bit unstable. My missing pieces mean I'll never be the same, but I'm able to get back to doing normal things. 

i've got a couple of years of checkups ahead of me, but in the current climate, appointments are by phone and future treatments are deferred. 

I hope that helps. The biggest lesson I've learnt on my journey is that everyone's experience is different, even when they are the same.

All the best.

Cheers

Portly Phil 

PaulineF
New Contributor

Hiya Tom,

I'm in the same boat as your wife... stage 4, mets'd into liver, looking potentially at surgery, just doing the final 2 months of a 6 month chemo stint.  Oxaly might be a wonder drug, but it's pretty harsh on the body, too.  Hope your wife's surgery goes outstandingly!!  And her recovery quick and painless.  🙂

I look forward to hearing how she went, as I'm looking at the same thing.  (2 x liver resections, 1 x bowel resection).

Hugs,

Pauline

0 Kudos
Tom1938
Occasional Contributor

Hi Pauline 

Firstly I’m sorry to hear of your own diagnosis and predicament. I hope all you are about to go through goes as best as it possibly can. 

My partner has been through a lot and things haven’t rolled out the way we hoped.

After the colorectal surgery and whilst she recovered amd got used to her stoma we had scans to prepare for liver resection. Unfortunately the Mets in her liver had spread as had the Mets in her lungs. Any more surgery wasn’t possible as a treatment approach.

It was pretty devastating news. The goal posts have changed so many times for us..... so we went through the process of readjusting.

She had the stoma reversal and really took a fair time to recover. She is an amazing woman. I found it very difficult with all else going on ( managing an 8 year old and covid in the mix ). But we got through.

All that seems to be offered now is ongoing chemo which she goes in for every second week for a dose on a Wednesday and has a pump that keeps trickling through for the following two days.

Her oncologist took her off the oxalyplatin because from her first rounds she hasn’t been able to feel the bottom of her feet anymore. She is now on fofuri and avastin. 

We will have another scan in September to see how the treatment has managed her cancer.

Our oncologist has led us to believe it’s highly unlikely she will ever be cancer free.... and really can’t give us a “ time “ frame. My partner is forever hopeful that she will be one of the people that lives longer than expected and I can only hope that her inner strength and belief will be the thing that gives her the ability to keep being the wonderful mother and partner that she is for many years. Fingers crossed.

We will  go on living with cancer in all its unpredictable and changeable nature.

My sincerest best wishes and positive outcomes for yourself. I hope surgery continues to be an option and I hope you have some good amd loving care. 

Best health

Tom

PaulineF
New Contributor

Oh Tom, how horrible for you and your family, to be dealing with that!

When I got my diagnosis I was freaked out that it was in the liver, but relieved that so far (touch wood) it hasn't gone into the lungs.  I did manage to develop blood clots in the lungs, but hopefully the cancer will stay out of there.  Mine was in the liver, too - so much so that it was initially inoperable.  I, too, have been doing chemo every fortnight (and isn't that fun?) so I can sympathise with your wife for the probably limited days she's feeling even remotely well.  I have the three drugs on the Thursday, with the takeaway bottle for the next two days... also high on my list of stuff I'd rather do without.

It does tend to shift the goalposts a bit, when the cancer goes wandering.  Mine's reduced somewhat, enough that they now think operations are a possibility, however, I'm always aware that it could decide it wants to grow again.  So my deepest sympathy for your wife there - it's so horrible when you've got yourself braced for the operations, only to have that change so suddenly.

I'm glad she's off the oxalyplatin.  That's yucky stuff.  My own neuropathy has been getting worse, so I suspect that's a big factor in the oncologist deciding to stop that treatment.

There's a clinical study being done by QUT, Queensland Health, and UCSF (?) into chemotherapy induce peripheral neuropathy  (CIPN) which is seeking to alleviate symptoms using home based therapies (heat and massage).  The website is research.qut.edu.au/real/cipn/  if you think that may be of some use.

My own philosophy has changed to "que sera sera" but I hope your wife's strength of character wins out over this pernicious disease.  Sending hugs and love to you, your wife, and your little one... 

Hugs,

Pauline

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.