Diarrhea post Pancreatic surgery

PatD
New Contributor

Diarrhea post Pancreatic surgery

I have had a whipples surgery done a couples of months back with total pancreas removal (surgery) including gall bladder and spleen. I have also had a part stomach and duodenum cut. Currently, I am trying to recover my weight but suffer from loose motions (Diarrhea) after every meal. I am unable to retain or digest my food properly. Anyone with such a case or knowledge of such issues post surgery, how long and how this may be controlled.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Diarrhea post Pancreatic surgery

PatD ARE YOU ON CREON TABLETS at meal times you need to let the nutricionist know what is happening I only had whipples compared to the surgery you had my problem was constipation until i got on to a breakfast cereal, every now and then i have diarrhea hope you find an answer kj
0 Kudos
Not applicable

PAtD Kj may be right. If you have not started on Creon you better call your doctors and make an inquiry. Experiment with the dosage yourself. TAke as many as you may need. For instance, my partner's surgeon has recommended 1-2 capsules per meal. She takes about 3-4. When she was on 1-2 she experienced malabsorption thinking it was diarrhea - well it wasn't. Creon fixed it.
0 Kudos
PatD
New Contributor

I have been on CREON 25000 units, post surgery. Indeed, the doctors have been experimenting with 1 and more capsules per meals. I have been currently advised to take 3 capsules per big meals and 1 for in-between snacks. This seems to have helped the malabsorbtion to a great extent. However, I am still experiecing loose stools/motions after each meal (big/small). Though my stools have very minimal fat floating or oiliness, it still does not seem to have affected my weight, which is still on the decline. I have taken Lomotil in the past with no success. Not sure how I can curtail the loose motions (7+ per day) after each meal, including the gurgling and growling in the stomach that is constantly occuring in me. My dieticians and doctors have no clue.
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi Pat, Next time you are talking to your Doc ask him about a medication called Questran ,I know several colon ca sufferers who have used it to help with constant diahorreah caused by chemo and Radiation. It is also used to trap cholesterol secreted in the bile and take it thru the system without uptake. I have used it for that and you certainly won't have loose stools. Best of luck Ron.
0 Kudos
purpleangels
Contributor

Hi there! My husband had a peritonectomy in dec 08. Since then, he has suffered increasingly with loose motions, lots of them, and gurgling and growling tummy. Recently we have been seeing a fabulous naturopath who suggested he take Bacto Cand GI And Iberogast liquid. This has certainly stopped the growling. I have also been researching other websites and am going to ask his GP about something called Wellchol. Hope this helps! PA
0 Kudos
PatD
New Contributor

PA. I have tried using Inner Health Plus 2 (Probiotic) tables in the morning and 1 at night and find that this has helped by reducing my stomach gurgling/growling. I also find, in my case, that when my sugar levels are high this leads to increase levels of gurgling/growling. Currently, this is in better control and may even be assisting in this issue. Haven't seen a naturopath yet. Will see if it helps. However, in all this my loose motions are still the same and the fat in the stools still exist. I am not sure how many Creons will help; neither the dieticians.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.