General Hi and questions regarding accessing Superannuation and Legal Help

KiwiSpud
Not applicable

General Hi and questions regarding accessing Superannuation and Legal Help

Hi Everyone, I am new to this site so hopefully I wont offend anyone or break too many rules. I recently (22/3/14) had emergency surgery to remove a previously unknown Tumor from my Large Intestine that had started to burst. it had apparently been there for over a year. Since the Operation I have also been told by the Oncologist that she is 95% certain I have Lynch Syndrome. I start ChemoTherapy in about 1.5 weeks. Now apart from my brain being in a muddle due to discovering that I had cancer in the first place followed shortly after by the Lynch Diagnosis meaning that I more more likely to get other cancers than the general population the two other most pressing things on my mind are my Debt and My kids (living with my unfriendly Ex) Firstly with the debt, I currently owe around $40k on loans and Credit, but I believe it may be possible to access some of my Super (I have around $220k in Super) to clear the debts and reduce that ongoing stress. Does anyone have any information on this that may be helpful. Secondly in regards to my Kids. I have a Parental Order in place, however my "Former Partner" disregards various parts of the Order whenever it suits her (I have documented proof). She has also been to every "Legal Aid" place in Sydney meaning that I cannot get aid from them due to "Conflict of Interest". I am considering taking her back to court, however I would prefer to have Legal assistance this time and I believe it may be possible to obtain this via the Cancer Council and I was wondering if anyone here has done similar and if so, how was it. I look forwards to any replies Regards Rob
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Not applicable

Re: General Hi and questions regarding accessing ...

Hi KiwiSpud, Welcome to Cancer Connections, While Cancer Council cannot provide legal advice, the following factsheets may be of benefit to you. Superannuation: www.cancercouncil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Superannuation-NSW-Finance-Fact-Sheet_Jan2013.pdf Financial Issues: http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Dealing-with-Debts-NSW-REVISED_Jan2013..pdf Family Law http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Family-law-NSW_June.pdf Cancer Council can also put you in touch with a lawyer for advice on some of these issues. Assistance is free for eligible clients. Please call 13 11 20 during normal business hours for more information. Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Admin Team
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.