Irinotecan

mickb
New Contributor

Irinotecan

G'day Everyone,I'm wondering if anyone here has had Irinotecan for treatment of lung mets from rectal cancer. I am 4mths out from having my ileo reversal Op and still training the bowel, which is a very slow learner to say the least! This particular chemo is pretty bad on the bowel and i'd love to hear from anyone thats already had it.Also i have an Aspergilloma in my lung and hope there is someone that can tell me of their experience with these two. My last lot of chemo had to be stopped due to bleeding from the lungs, so am very anxious about starting another lot.Thanks Mick
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Beccnat
Occasional Contributor

Irinotecan

Hi Mick, You may already be aware of the CancerBackUp website, which has detailed information on individual chemotherapy drugs http://www.cancerbackup.org.uk/Treatments/Chemotherapy/Individualdrugs/Irinotecan . I may be receiving Irinotecan as part of my chemo cocktail, so am also interested in other's experiences. Regarding the bowel, amazing how we all took something so fundamental for granted, isn't it? I wonder how many of us would give a king's ransom just to be able to go to the toilet normally! Regards, Beccnat
0 Kudos
mickb
New Contributor

Irinotecan

Thanks for the link Beccnatt, it'll come in handy.Your right about giving a kings ransom for a good you know what, Although i'd gladly have my bag back if it meant getting rid of it in my lungs.All the best, Mick
0 Kudos
linda64
Occasional Contributor

Re: Irinotecan

Hi Mick, My husband Tony (46) is currently having chemo for rectal cancer. He is having irinotecan & 5fu. He has just completed his 7th cycle, which he is having every fortnight. He was originally diagnosed in Aug 06 & was in remission for about 13 months but we found out in December that it has returned. We've been told its incurable as it is in the nerves and chemo is for palliative care, but we remain optimistic. Tony had a ct early April and they have found some spots on his lungs. He is due for another ct on Monday, 180509, to see if he is responding to treatment, our fingers are crossed. So far he has handled the treatment pretty well, he is very tired for about 4/5 days and he doesn't have much of an appetitite during this time. Unfortunately last fortnight he got mouth thrush really bad, so its really important to keep up with mouth washes to avoid the problem, his mouth/throat were sore for over a week and he had to have a strong antibiotic to get rid of it. Tony had a temporary illeostomy when he had his original surgery in Jan 07 to remove the tumour. It was reversed in Nov 07. I hope everything goes well with your reversal and I'm sure if you have any questions and would like to talk to someone who has gone thru it that Tony would be happy to try and help. take care Linda
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.