Lack of saliva post radiation

CAP
Occasional Contributor

Lack of saliva post radiation

My husband finished radiation June 11.  He has gotten his sense of taste back but still has no appetite. He drinks 4 ensure each day and a glass of milk with each. He has gained back 5-7 pounds if the 20 he lost post surgery and during radiation and chemo. He also eats a bowl of soup each day (minestrone). I feel he isn’t getting enough protein. He doesn’t have enough saliva to chew and break down the foods and then swallow them, especially  meats. He has tried products with xylitol and drinking water or milk but says it doesn’t help get the food down. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
CCNSWAdmin
Community Manager

Re: Lack of saliva post radiation

Morning @CAP, how is your husband doing this week?

I wonder if sips of something like sustagen for example or a protein shake might be worth a go?

I know you've already posted in there but this thread: Your experience with side effects from head & neck cancer treatment (radiation / mucositis), would definitely have some suggestions and sound advice.

0 Kudos
CAP
Occasional Contributor

Re: Lack of saliva post radiation

He does drink ensure with 350 calories and 13g protein (4 daily along with 8 oz. of whole milk each time).  The lack of saliva  is what bothers him the most. His 3 month post treatment PET scan showed no cancer. Also his dr. was not surprised about the saliva. He said he should see some improvement by 6 months. He is trying acupuncture as suggested by the speech and swallow therapist. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.