Looking for others that have had surgery for prostate cancer

Photoman
New Contributor

Looking for others that have had surgery for prostate cancer

5 weeks ago I was diagnosed with grade 9 cancer of the prostate. I was perfectly fit and healthy playing competition tennis with no symptoms. A PSA test gave the alarm. I was operated on 2 weeks ago using robotic surgery. I am recovering much better than I was lead to believe and I feel it will not be long before I am back on the tennis court. However the bad news is that the pathology report on my prostate shows that the cancer had leaked outside and was present in a lymph node. I have to wait another 4 weeks to take another PSA test to see what the score is. Apparently if the PSA is higher than 0 I am in trouble. Any simular experiences out there?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable

Re: Looking for others that have had surgery for prostate cancer

Hi Photoman, Welcome to Cancer Connections, we understand how important it is for you to be supported at this time and hope you will find us of benefit. Thank you for sharing some of your background and experiences with the Cancer Connections community in your first post. There are a number of current Cancer Connections members with similar experiences or in similar situations who you may be interesting in contacting and connecting with: www.cancerconnections.com.au/users/dazzle54 www.cancerconnections.com.au/users/philblog100 www.cancerconnections.com.au/users/steve1953 www.cancerconnections.com.au/users/sailor We’d also like to let you know that we’ll soon be launching a redeveloped Cancer Connections website with a range of new discussion Groups, including a new Group specifically for people affected by Prostate cancer. If you need any assistance using the website, please don’t hesitate to contact us at admin@cancerconnections.com.au Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
melbourneboybor
Contributor

Hi Photoman, Thanks for posting on here! I can imagine this is quite a shock for you. I can't offer any advice other than letting you know that my Father is going through Prostate Cancer and perhaps like you, it literally came out of the blue. For him, he was expiriencing pain in his legs that came from nowwhere really, went to a doctor - test after test and it appears he has Prostate cancer but unlike you, his has perhaps spead to parts of his bone. Photoman - I hope you've taken the time here to find what you are looking for and perhaps connected with someone directly affected by a similar cancer... and of course, similar treatments. Best of luck and be sure to keep us posted on how you beat this Regards John
0 Kudos
Photoman
New Contributor

Dear John I am so sorry to hear of your father. I have recovered well from my surgery, but have to wait another 3 weeks to see what the future holds. I had a bone scan before the operation and was all clear. I presume your doctor has advised you to have regular PSA blood tests as it is genetic. You may find this of interest. http://www.genetics.edu.au/Genetic-conditions-support-groups/prostate-cancer-screening Kind Regards Brian Morris
0 Kudos
melbourneboybor
Contributor

Thanks Brian, Glad to hear it didn't leak into the bones and here's to positive thinking that its controllable within your lymph nodes. It sounds like you're well on your way to a good recovery! I'm 31 now and haven't considered the idea of prostate checks - but I will now knowing my father is battling this. Thanks for the heads up JR
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.