Nausea/Fatigue+++ from Chemo

Govinda
New Contributor

Hi, I am new. This is my first post. I have had a L Breast Mastectomy. I am currently having Chemo. The A/C drug followed by Taxol. At present I have only had two doses of chemo and last time suffered with nausea for 6 days and fatigue for 10. Anyone else have this much of a problem with it? Or, God forbid, is this the norm?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
MissRen
Contributor

Hi Govinda. I have had 2 sessions of FEC so far and yes I too have experienced tiredness. I find the mornings to be the easiest, where I have the most energy. I feel everyday but there have been days where the fatigue has been overwhelming. I have a rest period during the day, most days i sleep and others i just have to get off my feet and rest my body. It seems that tiredness is a common side effect and it can be managed by listening to your body, resting, eating healthy and exercising; such as walking and yoga, which works for me. How have you been managing the tiredness since your post?
0 Kudos
ArnZo
Contributor

Good morning Yep, the nausea and fatigue are very common side effects. The nurses put us on to lemon barley cordial to help with the nausea (for some reason the traditional remedies like ginger etc were no help at all). Drinking weak lemon barley cordial instead of plain water seemed to help. My rellie fought against the symptoms during her treatment as she didn't want to 'give in' to it. But several nurses gave her the advice that the fatigue was going to happen whether she liked it or not, so to get the most out of life, concentrate on conserving energy for things she really wanted to do (eg walking the dog while she was able to) and get rellies/friends to use their energy on the day to day stuff (like cleaning, picking up meds from chemist etc). That approach seemed to help her. Unfortunately her treatment was only palliative and the bastard disease has finally overwhelmed her. She is battling nausea now from the high levels of pain meds she's on and the fatigue is enormous too from the pain meds. She also suffers from dry mouth which she was told is another common side effect and another cancer patient put her on to Biotene products, which are available at the chemist. At hospital they are using a balm called Oralife, haven't seen it at the chemist so not sure if would have to order thru Pharmacy Direct or if it's not available commercially (???) That is a bloody marvellous product. anyway, starting to ramble on again... that's what happens I guess after little sleep, not helped by inconsiderate neighbours on BOTH sides partying and yahooing until the wee hours of the morning. They obviously don't have to work over the festive season. Take care all Zoe
0 Kudos
ArnZo
Contributor

PS Forgot to add in that Reena's advice about listening to your body is very important too. My rellie is fortunate that several of her close friends have been practising Reiki for many years (vets who use it on animals too!).... which gives her an incredible sense of peace and well being. The first time she had two friends reiki her at the same time, she had an enormous burst of energy afterwards!
0 Kudos
Govinda
New Contributor

Thanks Miss Reena & Arnzo. Had my third Chemo treatment yesterday and have now been put on Pariet for my nausea which actually turned out to be more gastric reflux related. Took my first tab yesterday so I'll see how it pans out. Tomorrow is usually the day when it all happens including the fatigue. Yes, I too have been told to listen to your body. I appear to have no option anyway. IT wins out everytime! I have studied Tai Chi and Meditation in the past and also have dvds on Yoga and Pilates & Gentle Stretching. I think about them but at present that's as far as it gets. Maybe when I start the Taxol I'll have a bit more energy. I also read a lot and drift off from that at times. Not sleeping too good at night because of the menapausal night sweats+++ and so a nap during the day is probably a good thing. I too find the mornings are my best and have just finished preparing dinner for tonight before coming on here. My very supportive hubby helps. Cheers Govinda.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.