Newbie with a few questions - triple negative breast cancer

Barbe
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone, my first post here and if it seems like I am not making any sense, it is because I have had chemo a couple of days ago, and most of you know what that does to the brain! I have also copied this post to the "breast cancer" section, because I wasn't sure where the best place was. First of all, this site is great, so many inspirational stories, so much love and support, and an Australian site to boot! I won't bore you with all the nitty gritty details about my C-History, it is all in my profile, but in short, for the relevance of this query/comment/wondering out loud, this is it: was diagnosed with breastcancer in 2002, lumpectomy, Her2+, joined clinical trial with AC/Taxotere/Herceptin and radiotherapy. March this year, I found another lump, same breast, different side. Biopsy was done under ultrasound, result came back as Her2+ again. This time I had a mastectomy with an immediate free flap (from the tummy) reconstruction. Had a port put in (ugly little bugger it is!), awaiting chemo, this time  carboplatin/taxotere/herceptin. Low and behold, biopsy report from mastectomy came in, and the tumour is not Her2+! Herceptin cancelled, and I am now faced with the idea, I have had 2 completely different cancers in my breast. This tumour is classed a triple negative breastcancer, which means it doesnt have estrogen, progesterone or her2 receptors! This also means, that after chemo there is no "blocking" after-treatment, and that's scary. From what I read, this is a far more aggressive tumour and has a very fast recurrence rate, and more likely to be a genetic tumour. I am considering prophylactic mastectomy of the other breast after my chemo is done. The one thing that keeps going through my mind - and it may be that only a professional can answer this one, none of the people I spoke to in the hospital had an answer to this - is this; if I wouldn't have had Herceptin in the first round, would this tumour have been a HER2+ tumour? Has Herceptin blocked that particular receptor, making the tumour an even more agressive one? Second question, has anyone here have had 2 different type of tumours in the one breast? Third question, I know I am being greedy for my first post, but these things are bugging me.. Is there a genetic testing available in Australia? I have read about it in Overseas sites, but haven't seen any local ones. Thanks for reading my rambling, hope it makes sense. take care everyone, Barbe xoxo  
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Hi Barbe, You need to ask these questions of your treating Oncologist, get him/her on the phone, you don'y need to wait for the next  appointment. You can also checkout the Westmead Millennium Institute website, they conduct research accross the full range of cancer types, you can access all the research data and there's also contact details that may be able to help you. Also check out the list of trials on the Cancer Councils web site, there might be something there that relates to your situation. I hope you find your answers soon! Good luck. Regards Gaffo    
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Hello, I am new to the forums too!!! I had uterine cancer 2007. I am doing genetic testing in regards to my cancer. If you want more details, please let me know.
0 Kudos
adamm
Occasional Contributor

Hi Barbe Here is some information for genetic testing. Genetic testing is available for Australians www.genetics.edu.au or for clinics specific to breast cancer see http://www.nbcc.org.au/bestpractice/riskfactors/genetics.html In regards to your other questions you do need to speak with your Oncologist as there is specific answers he/she can give you to your questions that will help you understand what is happening for you.  Alternatively the Cancer Helpline can answer them for you call them on 13 11 20.  All the very best.  
0 Kudos
inga
Occasional Contributor

Hang on there,  I really cant answer any of your questions, as I'm new in this subject, love to help you thou. You seem to gone trough a lot, I'm learning from you. Keep posting, we are here to support .
0 Kudos
Barbe
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your replies. Took all your advise, had a really long, positive chat to my oncologist, and have an appointment to see a genetic councillor this month. B xox
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.