Peritonectomy Operation/survival

zoble
New Contributor

Re: Peritonectomy Operation/survival

I had a peretonecty at St George Hospital by Prof Morris 2 years Ago and a debulking of the cancer 7 weeks ago and I am about to under go Chemo therapy. Has any one had this treatment and was is it success full  I am still recovering from the operation 7 Weeks ago and I am apprehensive about the side effects of the   Chemo how bad is it. I have Also I been searching the internet and understand there is a new treatment on the way where they reengineer your own immune cells reinject them back into your body to get your own immune cells to kill the cancer do you know of any doctors in Australia that do this procedure ?

Spoiler

0 Kudos
Jenwren
New Contributor

Good mmorning. I’ve been reading through these threads with interest because I need to have this operation.....not exactly sure when yet. I’m in Brisbane.......from what I have heard and read have a wonder surgeon but really interesting to speaking to people who know what is playing through my mind, those who are also about to go through it. Jenwren.

Stitch
Contributor

Hi Jenwren,
I had the Peritonectomy with HIPEC in 2012 at the P>A> in Brisbane. It is the only hospital in Brisbane with a theater large enough to do the procedure. There are 3 surgical teams doing the procedure here now. Great teams, great nurses and a long journey for the patient.
Hope you get your procedure soon.
I am not on this site much, haven't been on it for quite a while as it's to hard to log on all the time.
I usually use the FB group support chats now, easier when I am on the go at work etc.
I will have to see if this group has an app or easy access so I can chat more often.
0 Kudos
Stitch
Contributor

Hi Zoble, the recovery is a slow process and everyone recovers at their own rate or pace.
Just keep building your strength back up. Some have taken up to 6 mths to fully recover, some 3 months etc.
It all depends on what was taken, what was left and how the body reacts to the treatment it received.
Best of luck for the future.
0 Kudos
Farmgirl2012
New Contributor

Hi Zoble, have read with interest your query, as I too will be having this op in the next few weeks at the RPA in Sydney. So was wondering how you have coped after the operation i.e. pain level and have you resumed back to your normal life and activities. As I have been reading so many articles on this I am starting to wonder whether I should go ahead with this op or not. Also when chemo was pumped into your tummy did you end up losing your hair, I know this is only a small part  to worry about but my husband loves my long hair....lol... Look forward to any positive (or bad) information that you can give me in helping me decide whether to go ahead with the op or not. Hope you are well and back on track.

0 Kudos
Stitch
Contributor

Hi Farmgirl2012 I did not lose my hair and many many others who have had this opp have also not lost their hair.
Keeping in mind that chemo has different effects for all people, but as the chemo is internal and not given by the drip the side effects are different.

There is a face book group started by a patient here in Australia.
It is inclusive for all Australia and New Zealand patients.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Australia&NewZealandPMPcancerPatients(pseudomyxomaperitonei)

There are 99 members in it so you should find some answers there as well.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.