Post Whipple Surgery

kj
Super Contributor

Post Whipple Surgery

Here I am 27 months after whipple surgery and still going, after being diagnosed terminal after surgery,so I just keep plodding on I have good and bad days like everyone, but I enjoy life so with life comes hope kj
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
melz
New Contributor

Re: Post Whipple Surgery

Hi Kj, I hate to ask too many questions but I have just been diagnosed with a tumor in the head of my pancreas. The doctors are saying "most likely" a papillary tumor and it "most likely" hasn't spread, but until they get it out they cannot say for sure. I am booked in for surgery Friday and I am really scared I have never had an operation before I am only 25 years old, can you give me any advice?
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

melz It is terrible to be going through this at your age, It is natural to be scared, Have confidence in the ability of your medical team to help you come through your surgery.If you have any specific questions relating to whipple just ask and If I can answer them I will, hope all goes well with your surgery will be thinking of you on Friday kj
0 Kudos
melz
New Contributor

Thanks Kj, Wow my head runs a million miles an hour since I was diagnosed and the doctors keep saying that a papillary tumor is really rare so I am finding it difficult to find anyone who has been where I am now to talk too. How did your story start? I am scared that while they say now that it all looks good and they are operating in hope to cure there is that small what if and what if that happens? How did you feel after the operation? I have never had any surgery (except the biopsy for this, if that counts). Did you have heaps of tubes and pain? oh so many questions I'm sorry
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

melz I must admit I do not know much about papillary tumor I done some reading on it yes it is very rare and whipple is an option for you I was diagnosed quite quickly as I went Yellow and was very sick my tumor was in the head and the bile duct blocked hence the yellowing of me, when I awoke from the whipple I had tubes coming out of my tummy some are there for weeks to drain after surgery the pain is controlled by the medications and you will be in and out of a haze so don't worry to much about the pain they will have a pain management team looking after you ,don't be afraid to press the button, the sooner you are up and moving the better it will be bearable you are younger and will probably recover quicker it is major surgery but you will surprise yourself how you adjust.One tip I can give is when you eventually start eating ask for a stool softener as you will get constipated and don't strain yourself I know from my own experience, as to how long you will be in hospital depends on your recovery,don't worry about asking questions if I can answer them I will, I realize this all can be frightening so keep your spirits up it is a lot to take in at this stage of your life kj
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.