Post op blood in stool

Slock7
New Contributor

Post op blood in stool

Hello. Thanks for letting me join your forum. I had a sigmoid resection a little over 3 weeks ago with robot assistance due to cancerous polyp. I did not have a colostomy. After about a week my stools started to form but i started noticing dark marron blood on paper and sometimes blood in the water that had ran off the stool. I was worried and stopped by the surgeons office but he wasnt in. The lady there called him and he said its normal and not to worry. Its been a little over 3 weeks now and still have noticable blood in stool. Is this normal? Has anyone else here had this experience? Thank you again.

5 REPLIES 5
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Re: Post op blood in stool

Hi Slock7,

First of all, I have absolutely no medical training. I wouldn’t normally comment on issues, like this, where I have no knowledge. 

I read your post & was concerned for you. I looked at a number of sites on the net. I checked out side affects & normalities, of that procedure. It appears, from reading these articles that blood in the stool is a recognised side effect. It also makes a point of keeping a eye out for blood clots in your legs.

I hope you are able to see your doctors soon, and have that verified. In the short term, it is a recognised occurrence & you shouldn’t feel it’s peculiar to your condition / procedure.

Once again I AM NOT a medical person, just another patient. I’m pleased you asked us the question & hope as this day moves on, someone with knowledge might join in.

Take care, best wishes in your treatment. Don’t worry too much.

Lindsay

Slock7
New Contributor

Dear lindsay, Thank you for your kind reply. I appreciate your concern. It is comforting just from your communication. Ive been a little emtional lately so please forgive me for the short reply as its hard to put thoughts into words. Thank you again and hope to keep in touch. I wish you and everyone the best. 

0 Kudos
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Your absolutely welcome, Slock7. We’re here to help one another. Please keep in touch, I for one will keep an eye out.

Lindsay

0 Kudos
Slock7
New Contributor

Dear Lindsay, I just wanted to let you know the bleeding stopped a few days ago and has eased my mind a bit. I was since informed a small spot was found on my liver in the ct scan. I am scheduled for a pet scan on the 16th to get more detail. Hopefully its benign. Thanks again. I hope you are able to stay away from the virus. 

0 Kudos
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Slock7, yep kept my distance from the virus. Great relief there.

So pleased the bleeding stopped, puts your mind at ease a little, I bet. I hope that liver spot is just a aberration & nothing to worry about. Make sure you keep us posted.

Take Care Slock7, thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.