I survived Cancer Treatment :-)

Contributor

I survived Cancer Treatment :-)

Hi all – I MADE IT!!  Week 7 is officially done and dusted, I’m through my second round of chemo-radiation treatment for throat cancer and will soon be on the mend and starting to get back my mojo, with only time sitting between me and a confirmed cure.

The latest update of my vlog can be found at https://youtu.be/6bSK0K2bjSY

In this episode I talk about side effects at end of treatment and 3 tips to help you get through.  Most important of all - caring for your carer!

Hope this helps a few of you navigate along your own journey.

Shane

4 REPLIES 4
Regular Contributor

Re: I survived Cancer Treatment :-)

Hi Shane,

Congratulations on completing your treatment.

How long do you have until you are "confirmed" cured?

The waiting can be difficult, I recommend you find something to occupy your mind especially as you close in on that date.

-sch

0 Kudos
Contributor

Hi SCH - my follow up ET scan is planed for lat January 2020 - however the lump that led to the surgery and this second round of chemo/radiation didn't appear in PET scans so I think I'll be waiting for a while.  I was 2 years post original treatment when this latest finding "reset my clock", so cancer free time is the only proof I think I'll trust.  But yes, plenty of distractions planned (-:  We have an overseas trip in Feb '20 that was postponed, we were supposed to be just getting back but had to push it out to undertake this treatment.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Shane,

congratulations on finishing your treatment. Hoping for good news for you when you have your follow up scans. 
Hubby finished his treatment for head and neck cancer 3 weeks this Friday. The first two weeks post treatment were horrendous for him, constant vomiting, gagging, on the mucous etc. slightly better this week but still happens at times. Feeding tube was removed today so that’s a step in the right direction but think it will be quite some time before he can have more than liquid drinks. 
He has scans 12th Dec, results 17th so fingers crossed. It was very similar to your cancer, tonsil and multiple lymph nodes. HPV. 
anyway best wishes again. 
Julie

Contributor

Sounds like he's through the worst of it now Joolz, I'm not sure if it would be harder to endure that phase as the patient or carer!  Best of luck on the 12th.

Shane

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.