Prostrate Cancer stage Zoladex - 10.8 mg 3 monthly - how long does treatment last before ineffective

Sambo
New Contributor

Prostrate Cancer stage Zoladex - 10.8 mg 3 monthly - how long does treatment last before ineffective

Hi all

I have stage 4 prostrate cancer, in limph nodes only...not in bones etc.

Brief History ....Prostrate removed by surgery approx 6 years ago after aggessive PC identified....Given all clear 2 years (after zero PSA)...regular PSA checks continued... PSA rose in 2016 confirming PC outbreak!!!!!!! ugggh..started Zoladex 10.8 mg treatment every 3 months in june 2016 and side effects reasonably OK to date... just had 4th injection .

it would be apprecitated if you could provide any advice on your case history,  focussing on how long you have/had been on Zoladex (including any breaks), any side effects that have developed overtime and, if now off Zoladex,, the follow up treatment in your case.

You may wish to add regarding "how are you travelling"

Cheers  and thanks .............Sambo

6 REPLIES 6
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Prostrate Cancer stage Zoladex - 10.8 mg 3 monthly - how long does treatment last before ineffec

Hi @Sambo and welcome to the community!

I believe Margaret sent you a welcome message the other day, which would have had a bit more information tailored to your situation. How are you going today? 

I moved this topic into our forums, where I feel you will hopefully get more eyeballs on it.

Has anyone had any had Zoladex or know of it, that could assist Sambo?

0 Kudos
Sambo
New Contributor

Re: Prostrate Cancer stage Zoladex - 10.8 mg 3 monthly - how long does treatment last before ineffec

hi kate

Thanks for your help.

cheers Sambo

0 Kudos
ZOL
Occasional Contributor

My apologies for not seeing your post earlier, Sambo, but I hope this may help you or others contemplating androgen treatment. As you probably know, androgen injections reduces testosterone which is the food for 

prostate cancer.

I had an18 month course of androgen which knocked down my testosterone & PSA to virtually zero. 18 months later both testosterone & PSA are sub 1.

The side effects that I experienced were:

-loss of libido

-some muscle turned into fat

-loss of energy

-slight breast enlargement & sensitivity

-penis reduction by about 50%

-testies reduction by about 40%

-severe tightening of foreskin (was not circuncised) with difficulty washing

-mild depression

That said, I elected to take the androgen injections to shrink my tumour before radiation and as a safety measure

to possibly destroy any cancer cells that had escaped into the system.

My testies and penis are gradually returning to normal so I elected not to have a circumcision.

"Staying Alive " is now my favourite song.

My current blood tests  indicate that I am probably clear of cancer because both my testerone & PSA are sub 1

and I have just embarked on psychological councelling to get me out of my mild depression and make me whole again.

Cheers

Zol

Terry2
New Contributor

Morning Sambo,

Late 2007 agressive Prostate Cancer diagnosis, early 2008 surgery, PSA rising till 2009 went for 8 weeks radiation treatment PSA still rising so put onto Zolodex and still going on it. Feb 2017 surgery to remove a cancerous kidney cyst (Papillary variant ) Had a fair bit of trouble with pain since then.

Not sure if this re-assuring, but I have been  on 3 monthly Zolodex implants for around 9 years and certainly do have side effects. Pretty much the same as Zol's list below but with hot flashes, mood swings, forgetfulness and most probably the worst - indescision. I can decide on doing something , do it and then ponder if it was the right thing to do to the point of nearly going back to it and make changes. I dread the 3 monthly implants and on consultation with my GP was told 'this is what is keeping me alive'!!! Still here to dread it, so think that's a plus. Weight gain is a problem I have to be careful of and do have lopsided breast enlargement and the 'other bits' way smaller.

I did try a Zolodex alternative but the GP suggested going back to Zolodex. It put a lot of strain on me going through this and trying to do the 'right thing' at work. Now retired so life is a little easier but still have these things in the back of my mind.

Good luck and will be interested to hear how you go.

Terry2

0 Kudos
ZOL
Occasional Contributor

Hi Terry2,

Thank you for your post on androgen injections. It is certainly comforting for those of us who are relatively new to PC that it is possible to tolerate this theraphy long term; albeit with the typical side effects.

In my previous post I forgot to mention the hot flashes. My wife bought me a bandana type scarf which has

water absorbant crystals in it. When I sensed a flash comming on I wet the bandana and tied it around my neck. In the summer I kept it in the fridge to keep it cooler. This minimised the flash discomfort.

For those who experience mild depression during androgen treatment may I siggest ACT: Acceptance & 

Commitmen Theraphy. Its a branch of modern Psychology which has been very useful for me. A good starting point is a book by Russ Harris "ACT Made Simple". Once you read and understand the basic principles you can view videos about the subject and its techniques (mindfulness) on youtube.

The gist of the theraphy is simply to except one's past, concentrate on the here and now with emphasis

on ones considered values and, in a nutshell, to be psychologically flexible. You could also kick-off your

journey by consulting an ACT psychological theraphisy. For pensioners the forst 10 sessions may be free

if your GP provides a referral.  Another good book is " The Upward Spiral" by Alex Korb PHD. These books may be available from your local library or via Amazon.com.

Have you had bone & soft tissue scans recently?

Cheers and thank you again for your most informative post on androgen injections and your personal PC journey. 

Perhaps others reading these posts could also post their PC experience; the more the merrier!

0 Kudos
Terry2
New Contributor

Hi Zol,

I was on 6 month checkups with cancer oncology for prostate cancer and prior to these appointments had full blood tests, scans and an annual bone scan. (I did find myself with DVT in left leg as a result of this) Following the kidney cancer operation on 6 month checks which after the next one will go to 12 months and should think, blood tests and scans prior to these as well. It will be a welcome change to have 12 month checks (both together I hope) as we know the road only too well to the big smoke.

There is a 'cooling pillow' available which I find pretty good for the hot flashes, but still seem to be able to saturate both sides during an episode.

Hope all goes well for you

Terry2

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.