Side effects from Radiotherapy - any suggestions

Leeanne
Occasional Contributor

Side effects from Radiotherapy - any suggestions

I am in the 4th week of radiotherapy (and chemo) for bowel cancer and just starting to feel the burn. I have been doing salt baths and sorbolene. Shall be talking to the nurse this week but just wondering what other people have found useful. Leeanne
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Not applicable

Re: Side effects from Radiotherapy - any suggestions

I had radiotherapy for breast cancer and had a burn that needed dressing. They probably won't stop the radiotherapy for a burn but with the right creams it is very doable. I first used Sorbolene and then when I started to burn I used DermAid 0.5% and then Dermaid 1% cream on unbroken skin and then when skin began to break down switched to Solugel. When the burn was more severe I added Lignocaine Gel 2% on top of the Solugel - instant relief. Nurses at any radiotherapy centre should be able to provide you with dressings, Solugel and the local anaesthetic cream. If they can't, ask your Radiation Oncologist for a script for the Lignocaine Gel 2%, dressings and Solugel are available at the chemist. I had a large area being treated and used up a tube of Solugel for every 3 dressings. This treatment was OK'd by my Radiation Oncologist, but as we are all different perhaps check before you do anything different. Hope this helps Joy k
0 Kudos
Leeanne
Occasional Contributor

Re: Side effects from Radiotherapy - any suggestions

Thanks for your reply Joy. I saw my radiation oncologist and he gave me some pain medication - panadine forte, Lomotil for loose stools and I have Pramin for nausea from medical oncologist. All now a delicate balance between side effects but the staff at the cancer care centre are very good and have been very helpful. They were expecting these kind of reactions so just going with the flow. Also lots of salt baths and cold compresses and have some Xylocaine ointment which helps as well. It helps now that I am not going so often during the day. Cheers.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.